Cranberries and other foods that disappoint

Ruffinogold
The Mayor

I thought only people from Maine with mental disabilities ate fresh cranberries . Its like a joke among the mean people living in that northern artic moose fest . I once told my boy that deer shit was really a naturally occurring smart pill . He didn't quite go for it so I figure if he has any mental disability , theyre minor
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

ncrobb wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 8:08 am I like fruit. Especially citrus. It contains Vitamin C which is Kryptonite to Scurvy but that is a different story. Today we decided to try a new fresh fruit with our breakfast. I like dried cranberries. I like cranberry sauce. What the heck is wrong with fresh cranberries? The texture is like an apple. There are four internal voids that must be vacuums for any good taste. Fresh cranberries are bitter and acidic and just not tasty at all. I’m used to the fresh fruit tasting different from the dried, canned or cooked version but I was not ready for fresh cranberries. I thought about throwing the rest of them in the field behind our house but I don’t want the deer and turkeys to eat one and think we are trying to poison them.

I don’t recall ever being so disappointed in a food. If you have run across others let me know so I don’t waste my tastebuds.
Don't eat an olive off the tree. They need to be cured first. Cranberries are similar. Uncured olives are off the tree are disgusting, the way cranberries fresh from the bog are disgusting unless mixed with a little sugar.

Animals will eat what they eat. Their tastebuds are different. There is no controlling for it.
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.
Piping Abe
Certified Codger

Ruffinogold wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 1:36 pm I once told my boy that deer shit was really a naturally occurring smart pill . He didn't quite go for it so I figure if he has any mental disability , theyre minor
Holy crap :lol:
Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

Ruffinogold wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 1:36 pm I thought only people from Maine with mental disabilities ate fresh cranberries . Its like a joke among the mean people living in that northern artic moose fest . I once told my boy that deer shit was really a naturally occurring smart pill . He didn't quite go for it so I figure if he has any mental disability , theyre minor
Have you ever eaten a deer turd? They aren't bad if the deer has just come from a cranberry bog. The only reason I know is because I was once stranded in the wilderness.
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

I love seafood and sushi but Uni was the biggest disappointment of my life. Tasted like dirty ass ocean and has mushy texture. Like a shitty tasting pudding that you have to chew. And that was from a very high end place before anyone tries the "you just had it at the wrong place" line of BS :lol:
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
Plinsc
Member in Good Standing

Mmmm pudding scabs!
Just a hill William with a BS in Appalachian Engineering
Tsal
Forum Decorum

Mr Beardsley wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 4:05 pm I love seafood and sushi but Uni was the biggest disappointment of my life. Tasted like dirty ass ocean and has mushy texture. Like a shitty tasting pudding that you have to chew. And that was from a very high end place before anyone tries the "you just had it at the wrong place" line of BS :lol:
An acquired taste fo sho..
The Troll Whisperer
arturo7
Member in Good Standing

Mr Beardsley wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 4:05 pm I love seafood and sushi but Uni was the biggest disappointment of my life. Tasted like dirty ass ocean and has mushy texture. Like a shitty tasting pudding that you have to chew. And that was from a very high end place before anyone tries the "you just had it at the wrong place" line of BS :lol:
I know you said not to but...

You had it at the wrong place. If you had to chew it don't ever go to that place again!

Even a high end sushi-ya will serve mediocre uni if they don't have the good stuff. With uni, it's either A+ or don't eat it.
ever forward
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

arturo7 wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 5:48 pm
I know you said not to but...

You had it at the wrong place. If you had to chew it don't ever go to that place again!

Even a high end sushi-ya will serve mediocre uni if they don't have the good stuff. With uni, it's either A+ or don't eat it.
It wasn't the wrong place. It's one of the things they are known for and the quality is always on point. It's shit that people are convinced is a delicacy. Like I always say, just because a chef calls it squab doesn't make it less pigeon.
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
pipedrum22
Member in Good Standing

I have lobster about once every few years when I’m in Boston or near anyplace known for them. I’m always disappointed. Expensive. Bland. Boring…AND I have to fight to get the meat out. If I’m working for my food the juice better be worth the squeeze.
“The sea was angry that day my friends!”