What Are You Reading?

montag

ric03 wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 9:14 am
Riff89 wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 6:49 am IT. I’m about 150 pages in so far. This one is kinda dragging so far. I’ve never seen the movie (either one) so I have no idea where it’s going but it better pick up quick or I’ll be shelving this one.
"It's" as much a coming of age tale/growing older as horror. If you're not enjoying it so far, I doubt you will. Salem's Lot and Pet Semetary (also Cujo) are better if you want more focused horror. Don't read The Stand lol 😩😴 :lol:
...and by all means don't read Insomnia unless you need a cure for insomnia. :lol:
ric03

montag wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 12:57 pm
ric03 wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 9:14 am
Riff89 wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 6:49 am IT. I’m about 150 pages in so far. This one is kinda dragging so far. I’ve never seen the movie (either one) so I have no idea where it’s going but it better pick up quick or I’ll be shelving this one.
"It's" as much a coming of age tale/growing older as horror. If you're not enjoying it so far, I doubt you will. Salem's Lot and Pet Semetary (also Cujo) are better if you want more focused horror. Don't read The Stand lol 😩😴 :lol:
...and by all means don't read Insomnia unless you need a cure for insomnia. :lol:
I've never read that lol! I don't actually mind his slow/long books, he is good at small town life. Nice to be lost somewhere different for a good while :roll:
Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

This is a thriller. It is called, "Emotional Self-Care for Black Women." I don't usually read a lot of self-help books (ever) so I am not enjoying this. I am doing research.

If anyone wants, I can mail it to you when I am done. Otherwise, I am going to give it to somebody else. I am not going to reserve a space on my bookshelf for this for long. It is written by Alicia Magoro.

It mentions women but I don't find much about black women. It is just most of the usual claptrap you would expect from a squishy self-help book--getting in touch with your feelings and feeling good about yourself. Pabulum is another word for baby food.

Any takers? I will study this for a few more days and then I will be ready to discard it, or, I could put it in a little library in my neighborhood. Take one, leave one.
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.
Piping Abe
Certified Codger

Citizen B wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 4:43 pm This is a thriller. It is called, "Emotional Self-Care for Black Women." I don't usually read a lot of self-help books (ever) so I am not enjoying this. I am doing research.

If anyone wants, I can mail it to you when I am done. Otherwise, I am going to give it to somebody else. I am not going to reserve a space on my bookshelf for this for long. It is written by Alicia Magoro.

It mentions women but I don't find much about black women. It is just most of the usual claptrap you would expect from a squishy self-help book--getting in touch with your feelings and feeling good about yourself. Pabulum is another word for baby food.

Any takers? I will study this for a few more days and then I will be ready to discard it, or, I could put it in a little library in my neighborhood. Take one, leave one.
Interesting choice for sure but i’ll pass
The Secret to Happiness is Low Expectations
montag

I am reading the just released Dean Koontz book The Bad Weather Friend.

Plinsc
Member in Good Standing

I’ve tried a couple times to read Lord of the Rings but just didn’t care for it. The movie was a napmaker for me too. Anyone find these less than interesting?
Just a hill William with a BS in Appalachian Engineering
MikeDennison
Certified Codger

Plinsc wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 1:42 pm I’ve tried a couple times to read Lord of the Rings but just didn’t care for it. The movie was a napmaker for me too. Anyone find these less than interesting?
Starting Tolkien with Lord of the Rings is jumping into the deep end. Start with "The Hobbit". But maybe the genre just isn't for you.
"I realized I had the gift of seeming to know more than I actually did." -A.J. Cronin-
Plinsc
Member in Good Standing

It’s the latter, I stuck with that one till the end but didn’t like it. A lot of people do like it so I know it’s well written,just my taste I guess.
Just a hill William with a BS in Appalachian Engineering
Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

Plinsc wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 1:42 pm I’ve tried a couple times to read Lord of the Rings but just didn’t care for it. The movie was a napmaker for me too. Anyone find these less than interesting?
I have less free time than I did as an adolescent. I have thought about rereading them but I remember that much of them were a slog. I am not against the books. I enjoyed them. I just don't have the time, nor, truth be told, much of an inclination. Once was enough.
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.
Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

Catholicism: A Global History from the French Revolution to Pope Francis.

I know you don't care about this but on page 99 I am reading about the ultra-montanist revolt in New Orleans.

It is not a big city but I can go anywhere in the world and people will know where I am from. Things happen here. It's nice to be a part of it.
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.