On The Amount of Pipes We Have

arturo7
Member in Good Standing

I have about a dozen or so pipes and maybe 40 different tobaccos at present.

Outside of y'all sons of bitches, I don't know anyone who smokes a pipe.
ever forward
Plinsc
Member in Good Standing

A pipe can be made easily enough to burn tobbaco in, might not be pretty or very efficient but would work. Tobacco can be grown but requires a lot of waiting. I have no idea where I was going with this. Lol
Must be that homemade pipe got me.
Just a hill William with a BS in Appalachian Engineering
Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

I have more pipes than I need, which is why I am no longer in the market. The good smokers, I smoke. The poor smokers, I put those in a box pass when I participate.
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.
Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

Tsal wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 1:32 pm The old timers smoked a pipe because it was a healthier alternative to cigarettes and it was cheaper.
Some things never change.
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.
Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

Piping Abe wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 4:31 pm
Beardsley doesn’t smoke Peterson’s. Because the P-Lip is a scam.
Truer words were never spoken. Say it loudly and say it proudly. P-Lip is a scam. Speak truth to power.
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

I have about 60 I think about a quarter of that being Grabows and quarter KYM, a quarter GBD, and a quarter Vittoria. There’s a few oddballs in there too.

I think we have so many pipes and tobacco
is because they’re available. It would be hard for an old timer without a telephone with Internet to find eBay! I wish I never learned about it! Ha ha

I’d smoke cigarettes all day long if I thought my lungs and heart could take it!
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Piping Abe wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 7:38 pm Great discussion.

@Mr Beardsley I think you are pretty spot on. But when I think of getting rid of all of my pipes and tobacco, and I mean everything I think of the quote in @Presby John-Dave signature: "It was my companion at that most miserable time". It’ll always be with me on this Earth! But I could slim down a lot for sure.

@Ruffinogold a lot of great points, some I never even thought about but makes a lot of sense. A question for you: what was your average pipe smoking customer like in your B&M days? Just coming in to get his ration of 1Q? Or did he pick up something new every now and again.
Hmmmm ... the average guy maybe when I first started was in their blend zone of a few blends like most people , I did have certain guys that came in once a month and Id mix up their pound blend for them . I did have a " cook book " of customers blends that we came up with for them in a drawer in the shop which was sold with the shop of course , along with the recopies of the blends I made for the shop , which wasnt a huge number

Honestly , my goal was to get cigar smokers smoking a pipe . I considered that " my job " because the cigar boom was coming and I existed through that and when I saw what was going on I shifted gears as hard as I could and it was , in hindsight , wise for a younger guy . I was 29 when I started the shop and probably 30 when I shifted gears [ I think ]. My point is , by the time I sold the shop , the pipe smoking crowd average age was probably in their 30's , which before was probably in the late 40's . So , the younger newer pipe smokers were bouncing around a bit ... but in time Id say half settled in on a few blends just like the older guys . I got the most enjoyment out of turning people on to pipe smoking , I really did . Certain guys I got to see fall madly in love with pipe smoking and I truly loved that more than anything and will always be grateful for having the opportunity to have that business' for the time I did

I hated the cigar boom years , for a number of reasons , but I loved making pipe smokers out of them if I could :thumbs: .
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Plinsc wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 2:15 am A pipe can be made easily enough to burn tobbaco in, might not be pretty or very efficient but would work. Tobacco can be grown but requires a lot of waiting. I have no idea where I was going with this. Lol
Must be that homemade pipe got me.
:lol:
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
Piping Abe
Certified Codger

Ruffinogold wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 8:43 pm
Piping Abe wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 7:38 pm Great discussion.

@Mr Beardsley I think you are pretty spot on. But when I think of getting rid of all of my pipes and tobacco, and I mean everything I think of the quote in @Presby John-Dave signature: "It was my companion at that most miserable time". It’ll always be with me on this Earth! But I could slim down a lot for sure.

@Ruffinogold a lot of great points, some I never even thought about but makes a lot of sense. A question for you: what was your average pipe smoking customer like in your B&M days? Just coming in to get his ration of 1Q? Or did he pick up something new every now and again.
Hmmmm ... the average guy maybe when I first started was in their blend zone of a few blends like most people , I did have certain guys that came in once a month and Id mix up their pound blend for them . I did have a " cook book " of customers blends that we came up with for them in a drawer in the shop which was sold with the shop of course , along with the recopies of the blends I made for the shop , which wasnt a huge number

Honestly , my goal was to get cigar smokers smoking a pipe . I considered that " my job " because the cigar boom was coming and I existed through that and when I saw what was going on I shifted gears as hard as I could and it was , in hindsight , wise for a younger guy . I was 29 when I started the shop and probably 30 when I shifted gears [ I think ]. My point is , by the time I sold the shop , the pipe smoking crowd average age was probably in their 30's , which before was probably in the late 40's . So , the younger newer pipe smokers were bouncing around a bit ... but in time Id say half settled in on a few blends just like the older guys . I got the most enjoyment out of turning people on to pipe smoking , I really did . Certain guys I got to see fall madly in love with pipe smoking and I truly loved that more than anything and will always be grateful for having the opportunity to have that business' for the time I did

I hated the cigar boom years , for a number of reasons , but I loved making pipe smokers out of them if I could :thumbs: .
Really great story. Thanks for your insight. I always enjoys
these tales from a time gone by. It’s not that long ago, but it might as well be Image
The Secret to Happiness is Low Expectations
rlucas
Member in Good Standing

I have 15-20 pipes. Some are not smokeable for whatever reason. I bave found that the less expensive, less than $50, are the better smoking for some reason. I usualy only smoke 1 pipe all the time. Sometimes I'll change to more expensive one but not very often. Why do I, because it's cheaper and because it's an alternative to cigs.
"That's mighty bold talk for a one eyed fat man!" -Lucky Ned Pepper.