Major Overhaul of the Likes System and an OOPS

Piping Abe
Certified Codger

Tsal wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 1:28 pm
Piping Abe wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 1:26 pm
Tsal wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 1:19 pm
I know, I edited my post because it came across wrong.
The Forum needs an update and I think we are on the right track previously to where the page did not refresh after each Like. Just my opinion. I’ll be here regardless.
The forum is up to date. It's as modern as any other. PSF is just not filled with the cool kids which in my opinion is a good thing.
The interface needs improvement I think. I agree we dont have any cool kids or want any here.
The Secret to Happiness is Low Expectations
Tsal
Forum Decorum

Piping Abe wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 1:44 pm
Piping Abe wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 1:26 pm

The Forum needs an update and I think we are on the right track previously to where the page did not refresh after each Like. Just my opinion. I’ll be here regardless.
The forum is up to date. It's as modern as any other. PSF is just not filled with the cool kids which in my opinion is a good thing.
The interface needs improvement I think. I agree we dont have any cool kids or want any here.
What are you basing your comparison on? The site is up to date and is functioning as it should with the exception of a like button.
The Troll Whisperer
Piping Abe
Certified Codger

Tsal wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 2:06 pm
What are you basing your comparison on? The site is up to date and is functioning as it should with the exception of a like button.
I am on a few forums, pipe and non pipe related. Some are terrible and have ads. This does not, which is a big plus. But the interface isnt as smooth. Usually newcomers have to ask a lot of questions to do simple features, like post a picture or post a video or how to view the latest post in a thread easily, the PM function and more could be better.

I am not trying to say anything bad about PSF, I really enjoy this place, as everyone can see. I just want to help make it better. And provide suggestions.
Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

Mr Beardsley wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 9:44 am
Wait... You started a thread about noticing less activity but you think the lack of likes has encouraged more conversation? Interesting
I spend much of my days observing things. Patterns, tidal surges in the rhythm of the days, over the seasons.

For instance, today, I went to Baton Rouge with Mrs. King. It is very rare for me to leave New Orleans.

Where I am sitting now, I arrived about two hours late. I am used to being able to tell the time from the burble of conversation in the background. I have no idea what time it is because I am disoriented.

Baton Rouge is not that great. Nobody in New Orleans goes to Baton Rouge to have a good time. The flow of emigration is the reverse.

I am noticing changes in the rhythm of PSF. That is all, like a seismograph or a Geiger counter might.

I think the tenor of the forum will have unintended, tectonic consequences by not having likes. I am already detecting it. I like it.

The future is impossible to predict. There is less activity but it is more a matter of quality over quantity of interaction. A monkey can push a like button. It takes a pipe smoker with an opinion to write a thoughtful response.

Yep. That is does.
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.
Tsal
Forum Decorum

Piping Abe wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 3:04 pm
Tsal wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 2:06 pm

I am on a few forums, pipe and non pipe related. Some are terrible and have ads. This does not, which is a big plus. But the interface isnt as smooth. Usually newcomers have to ask a lot of questions to do simple features, like post a picture or post a video or how to view the latest post in a thread easily, the PM function and more could be better.

I am not trying to say anything bad about PSF, I really enjoy this place, as everyone can see. I just want to help make it better. And provide suggestions.
I know you're not saying anything bad. I'm just trying to understand what you are getting at. PSF doesn't look as slick as others but all these functions are pretty basic and easy to navigate, all forums have the same process to post pics and videos, it's a standard. The PM function seems to work fine. I sent a few over the past week and they went through.

I suggest new members look around and see how the forum works, just like anything, read the manual.
The Troll Whisperer
montag

My 2.5 cents (used to be 2 cents before inflation)

Day 1. No likes? No problem!
Day 2. How does someone know I like their post? Can I think of a witty reply? Am I rude if I don't reply?
Day 3. Freedom. I no longer have to worry about someone getting their feelings hurt if I forget to like their post.
Day 4. I post and reply when I darn well want to!

A forum to me is all about fellowship and content. I like this place and that's why I keep reading posts and posting.
Piping Abe
Certified Codger

montag wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 5:33 pm My 2.5 cents (used to be 2 cents before inflation)

Day 2. How does someone know I like their post? Can I think of a witty reply? Am I rude if I don't reply?
Day 3. Freedom. I no longer have to worry about someone getting their feelings hurt if I forget to like their post.

A forum to me is all about fellowship and content. I like this place and that's why I keep reading posts and posting.
I like that ;)
Tsal
Forum Decorum

montag wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 5:33 pm My 2.5 cents (used to be 2 cents before inflation)

Here here! :buddy:
The Troll Whisperer
Plinsc
Member in Good Standing

:D
Just a hill William with a BS in Appalachian Engineering
MikeDennison
Certified Codger

:D "like" that!
"I realized I had the gift of seeming to know more than I actually did." -A.J. Cronin-