Think that pipe has gone out? Think again!

MikeDennison
Certified Codger

I don't get the upside down thing. I've heard of it, but never done it. How does the tobacco stay in the bowl?
"I realized I had the gift of seeming to know more than I actually did." -A.J. Cronin-
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

MikeDennison wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 11:57 am I don't get the upside down thing. I've heard of it, but never done it. How does the tobacco stay in the bowl?
Anti-gravity. 😆
FJB
MikeDennison
Certified Codger

Kevin Keith wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 1:20 pm
MikeDennison wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 11:57 am I don't get the upside down thing. I've heard of it, but never done it. How does the tobacco stay in the bowl?
Anti-gravity. 😆
:lol: That explains it.
"I realized I had the gift of seeming to know more than I actually did." -A.J. Cronin-
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

Piping Abe wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 8:11 am
Fr_Tom wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 6:15 am
Ruffinogold wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 10:13 pm I call it combustion . I was told once its called something else Ive never heard of , to the point that i cant remember what the hell the word was . If there's a shred of life in the bowl , combustion can make it fire up if theres a chance at all . Uncle Jim knew what he was doing :thumbs:
My grandfather on my dads side was a wicked pipe smoker . It was the first time I ever saw someone smoke a billiard upside down in the rain and I thought that was bad ass and Ive been doing that ever since . I think Norman Rockwell did a portrait smoking a pipe upside down too [ ? ] Grandpa knew how to rip through a pound bag of black cavendish .. he was an animal
Fishing in the rain with my father, I witnessed the upside down pipe in action too.
So for the upside down pipe, what is the technique when packing so it all doesn’t fall out. Because I tell ya, cube cut doesnt work!
Ha - cube would not. With my father it would have been Half and Half, and he was a codger scoop man. I am claiming he did not do anything special. He also ONLY used matches.
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

For what it's worth, I just knocked loose ashes out of the Weber pot I am smoking and turned it upside down. It seemed to work pretty well that way and nothing fell out. Maybe I pack a little more firmly than some?
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
pipedrum22
Member in Good Standing

Yeah I did it wrong. The pipe was the same direction upward but I ended up upside down.
“The sea was angry that day my friends!”
Plinsc
Member in Good Standing

Lol
Just a hill William with a BS in Appalachian Engineering
MikeDennison
Certified Codger

pipedrum22 wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 9:48 pm
Yeah I did it wrong. The pipe was the same direction upward but I ended up upside down.
:lol: Good to "see" ya, sir!
MikeDennison
Certified Codger

Fr_Tom wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:20 pm For what it's worth, I just knocked loose ashes out of the Weber pot I am smoking and turned it upside down. It seemed to work pretty well that way and nothing fell out. Maybe I pack a little more firmly than some?
So, the idea is that one can smoke the pipe outside in the rain?
Plinsc
Member in Good Standing

I’ll probably watch from under a roof somewhere
Just a hill William with a BS in Appalachian Engineering