Greywoodie Has Acquired Kaywoodie

Piping Abe
Certified Codger

Nathan Davis of Greywoodie finished up some Kaywoodies that Bill F had started prior to his hospitalization for the upcoming Chicago Pipe Show. Bill F was happy with Nathan’s work and allowed him to purchase the company since he can no longer keep up with it. Below is Nathan’s Social Media Posts:

April 1 “Despite today's date, this is no April Fools prank. As my more astute customers and fans have been noticing as I prepare for Chicago, these stains and finishes look awfully familiar. Bill has asked me to finish some of the Kaywoodie pipes that he started. These now only lack bowl coating and stamping to be the first finished batch from me. Worry not, there will be more after Chicago as well.”

April 12 “It is a little surreal to announce this, but I have purchased Kaywoodie from Bill. While he is continuously getting better, the mobility of his hands led him to approach me about taking over. We have figured out terms and I will continue to produce Kaywoodie pipes. While I have those which he started that I can continue to finish out, I will also make them new going forward. I guess I did something right with this batch for Chicago. I am still astounded by the journey from my first Kaywoodie found at a flea market, to an obsession with the brand, and from meeting Bill, to becoming friends, and eventually learning everything I could from him, looking up to him as a mentor and more. Thank you all for coming along with me on this wild ride.”
The Secret to Happiness is Low Expectations
Piping Abe
Certified Codger

ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

Whoa - big news in the industry...
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
simplepipes
Codger in Training

Exciting news . . .

-sp
My vote has not been bought . . . I paid for my Undergraduate and Graduate Degrees . . .
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

I have mixed feelings . Bill made some of the best Kaywoodies . I remember when they were made in Tampa by Italians and they were good but I think bill did some wonderful work that was beyond what most people expected of a Kaywoodie . I also feel like Bill didnt get the credit for the work he did , which is a bummer . Bill should have ditched the drinkless system years before he did and I think that would have done wonders during those internet blossoming pipe years . Kaywoodie , like Sutliff , took a lot of ignorant bullshit abuse ,online probably from the man bun, metro lumbersexual crowd of pipe smokers [ imho ] . I bitched about that on the old forum because the stinger thing was like screw caps on a bottle of wineinn the internet smoking publics eye . Ya know , back when only English blends were worthy bs and now of course its the one style always in stock .
Ill not forget the first Briar PSF POY that bill made . It was outstanding and reasonable in price . We actually paid wholesale for it , as opposed to a retail price that we paid for lesser pipes after that year , which always pissed me off , to be honest . Bill did us the best in every way and I just wanted to continue the POY with him but of course that didnt happen

Kaywoodie is very special to me for many reasons and I hope this new guy does it right . I have no reason to believe he wouldnt , of course , but I just hope he does very good and the best of luck to him
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

I also hope this new guy makes a 13b and a 50b .Two excellent shapes . The old Kaywoodie shape charts are priceless references
Piping Abe
Certified Codger

Ruffinogold wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 7:44 pm I have mixed feelings . Bill made some of the best Kaywoodies . I remember when they were made in Tampa by Italians and they were good but I think bill did some wonderful work that was beyond what most people expected of a Kaywoodie . I also feel like Bill didnt get the credit for the work he did , which is a bummer . Bill should have ditched the drinkless system years before he did and I think that would have done wonders during those internet blossoming pipe years . Kaywoodie , like Sutliff , took a lot of ignorant bullshit abuse ,online probably from the man bun, metro lumbersexual crowd of pipe smokers [ imho ] . I bitched about that on the old forum because the stinger thing was like screw caps on a bottle of wineinn the internet smoking publics eye . Ya know , back when only English blends were worthy bs and now of course its the one style always in stock .
Ill not forget the first Briar PSF POY that bill made . It was outstanding and reasonable in price . We actually paid wholesale for it , as opposed to a retail price that we paid for lesser pipes after that year , which always pissed me off , to be honest . Bill did us the best in every way and I just wanted to continue the POY with him but of course that didnt happen

Kaywoodie is very special to me for many reasons and I hope this new guy does it right . I have no reason to believe he wouldnt , of course , but I just hope he does very good and the best of luck to him
Great write up here. I enjoyed it. If you don’t know anything about Nathan Davis, i’ll tell you what I know. He started out as a massive Kaywoodie fan and collector. Fast forward a while and he was able to sit under the learning tree of Bill. He started Greywoodie at some point and made artisan pipes. And teamed with Bill to sell Kaywoodie pipes. Basically, Bill wasnt promoting Kaywoodie at all and the brand was dying. Nathan reinvigorated him and was able to distrubute and aid the brand. And brought it back into popularity.

Greywoodie has a podcast and on episode one, he explains the whole thing. I may have not explained it correctly or in order but thats the jist of it. Bill will continue to make Kaywoodie Handmade pipes when he can. But the brand is in great hands.
Silver
Certified Codger

Kaywoodie is in good hands with Nathan.
Plinsc
Member in Good Standing

Plus there’s a marketing goldmine just waiting, “every man needs a woodie, order yours today”.
Just a hill William with a BS in Appalachian Engineering
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Plinsc wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 5:46 am Plus there’s a marketing goldmine just waiting, “every man needs a woodie, order yours today”.
Jeez .... that would probably work these days :thumbs: