Filters; How do you deal with the tar?

MikeDennison
Certified Codger

I use'em in the pipes made for'em. I don't mind'em at all.
"I realized I had the gift of seeming to know more than I actually did." -A.J. Cronin-
HSigurdsson

Can't say that I deal with much tar.
If the bowl does get yoo wet, ill run a cleaner through it.
And I always run a cleaner after each bowl.
Ive tried filtered pipes but do not care for them.
Ronv69
Founding Member

The tar is where the flavor is. 😁
God and Texas!
Pitador

I don't filter and only clean a pipe once it won't draw properly.
A quick flick mid smoke clears the worst of the tar out of a gurgling pipe.
I have a cool old school pipe cleaning device that socks out the tar, will post a picture next time I use it which will be once majority of my favorite pipes are so gunned up they are unusable, letting a pipe cool down with th stem up solves most tar issues as the tar drains Back towards the bowl.
I love falcons for the simplicity of cleaning, unscrew the bowl and wipe out with a paper towel and you are good to go again.
This falcon Bantam i am smoking tonight will probably last the night before I need to find a paper towel. But I have another falon on standby just in case...Image
There's only one sure thing in life Blondini — that's doubt. I think.
– Mulvaney (Bruno Lawrence)
rekamepip
Codger in Training

Ronv69 wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 11:01 pm The tar is where the flavor is. 😁
Exactly
It’s all about the drip !

Now granted when it looks like the above ^ pipe of @Pitador the tar is a little gummy for my liking. But if you think about tar as in a drip coffee maker there holds the flavor. Nothing better than a fresh pot of coffee but when you let it sit too long you get sludge
Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

Pitador wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 3:30 am Image
Whoever owns this pipe is okay in my book. Please record one vote in favor of Pitador.
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.
Piping Abe
Certified Codger

Pitador wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 3:30 am I don't filter and only clean a pipe once it won't draw properly.
I have a cool old school pipe cleaning device that socks out the tar, will post a picture next time I use it which will be once majority of my favorite pipes are so gunned up they are unusable, letting a pipe cool down with th stem up solves most tar issues as the tar drains Back towards the bowl.
I love falcons for the simplicity of cleaning, unscrew the bowl and wipe out with a paper towel and you are good to go again.
This falcon Bantam i am smoking tonight will probably last the night before I need to find a paper towel. But I have another falon on standby just in case...Image
Brother, that is a bit much…
Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

Piping Abe wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 4:52 pm
Pitador wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 3:30 am I don't filter and only clean a pipe once it won't draw properly.
It's alright. A little everclear or something high-proof like that will clean this gunk up in two shakes of a lamb's tail. I love a dirty bowl like that. That is seasoning.
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.
Piping Abe
Certified Codger

Citizen B wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 5:42 pm
Piping Abe wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 4:52 pm
It's alright. A little everclear or something high-proof like that will clean this gunk up in two shakes of a lamb's tail. I love a dirty bowl like that. That is seasoning.

More like a crawfish boil in a pipe!
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

I like filters in the MM Cobs that are designed for them . Gimme a good burley in a filtered Legend ... hell yes :awesome:
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.