Missouri Meerschaum corn cob.

Legion

My order of pipes has just arrived from 4noggins :clap: (Great service & I highly recommend)

I've been intrigued by members comments about MM corn cobs. How could a dirt cheap pipe rank amongst pipe connoisseurs favourites?
So off course, I had to find out for myself & ordered a Country Gentleman & a Diplomat apple, both MMs naturally.

Rather than try out my much anticipated Savinelli churchwarden, I went straight to the Diplomat & half filled it with a mixture of Buttered Rum & Windsail (Lovely mix. The Windsail is quite dry, nice tobacco but not complex & the BR is a touch moist & smells a bit overpowering)

Now I can see why MM corn cobs are a favourite amongst experienced pipe smokers. As I've been used to a Peterson Calabash for over 7 years, the MM Diplomat feels a bit odd in the hand but wow, what a pipe! If it continues to smoke like the first half bowl it will certainly be in regular rotation.

What steps, if any, do I need to take to break in an MM corn cob?
Is there anything that I need to know re; maintenance?
Whistlebritches

Smoke it like you stole it.........never had one let me down to date.

I scrape the carbon out every 2-3 months as I rotate thru a dozen and a half or so cobs.
Ray Mackessy
Man About Town

MikeDennison
Certified Codger

Fill'er and smoke'er. Repeat. Cobs provide one of the easiest and coolest smokes out there, IMHO.
"I realized I had the gift of seeming to know more than I actually did." -A.J. Cronin-
Legion

Ray Mackessy wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:21 am This may help.
https://pipedia.org/index.php?title=The ... cob_primer
That was very informative thanks Ray.
Legion

MikeDennison wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:25 am Fill'er and smoke'er. Repeat. Cobs provide one of the easiest and coolest smokes out there, IMHO.
You might want to read the link that Ray provided. :thumbs:
Legion

These corn cobs have a definite taste. At first I thought the latakia had spoiled my Diplomat but when I loaded the Country Gentleman it had the same odd taste.

Nothing that a layer of carbon can't fix.
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

Legion wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:39 am These corn cobs have a definite taste. At first I thought the latakia had spoiled my Diplomat but when I loaded the Country Gentleman it had the same odd taste.

Cobs will have a tendency to taste a little sweeter, and perhaps a tad vegetal when they are fresh. Also, for about the next 5-6 bowls you will probably taste a pretty intense hit of maple wood smoke when you near the end of the bowl. My only advice is to soldier through the maple, as the longer that you endure it in each bowl, the less time it sticks around.
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
Legion

houtenziel wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:45 am
Legion wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:39 am These corn cobs have a definite taste. At first I thought the latakia had spoiled my Diplomat but when I loaded the Country Gentleman it had the same odd taste.

Cobs will have a tendency to taste a little sweeter, and perhaps a tad vegetal when they are fresh. Also, for about the next 5-6 bowls you will probably taste a pretty intense hit of maple wood smoke when you near the end of the bowl. My only advice is to soldier through the maple, as the longer that you endure it in each bowl, the less time it sticks around.
Normally I'd be put off by the taste, not so much because it's unpleasant, but dominant.
None-the-less I like the way they smoke so I'll persevere.

The link that Ray provided mentions that & suggests a procedure that deals with the maple.
CoreyR
Founding Member

The other day I realized that my cheap MMs, particularly the new "cobbler pipes," and my very expensive meers are about all I smoke anymore.
Imagine that?