Bogus Craft Whiskey

Toshtego

I stick with the old labels: Old Grand Dad, Old Overholt, Old Forester, Old Taylor, Old Fitzgerald, Old Crow. See the pattern? Old Crow was one of my first after Old Quaker's demise. I still like that old rot gut.
This post by Toshtego liked by (total 4):
Ronv69Dr UhahaavidBriarBuck
BriarBuck

Bullet Rye is a fine choice. I will recommend for 16$...

Also, you can't do much better that Evan (Evil) Williams Bourbon for 17$
This post by BriarBuck liked by (total 2):
Toshtegoavid
Leave the gun...take the canolli.
Toshtego

BriarBuck wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:33 pm
Bullet Rye is a fine choice. I will recommend for 16$...

Also, you can't do much better that Evan (Evil) Williams Bourbon for 17$
Old Overholt has a higher corn content since relocating to Kentucky. However, the 100 proof Bottled-in-Bond is straight rye and tastes as I remember it.
This post by Toshtego liked by (total 2):
avidBriarBuck
AndreRitter

arturo7 wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:34 pm
Ran across this article today. It seems many purveyors of craft whiskey don't do any distilling. A commercial distillery in Indiana, MGP, makes a lot of it, especially the ryes. My current go to, Bulleit, is made there. As is Templeton, George Dickle, Redemption, and a host of others. In most instances, it's the exact same whiskey. The "craft distiller" merely fills bottles and slaps on their labels. All told, MGP's whiskey is sold by about 50 different brands.

"Templeton Rye, has built its successful brand on being a product of Templeton, Iowa. They tell an elaborate story about how their recipe was used by the owner’s family to make illicit whiskey in Iowa during Prohibition, and how that rye had become Al Capone’s favorite hooch. They publish a description of their “Production Process” so detailed it lists the temperature (124 degrees) at which the “rye grain is added to the mash tank.” They brag that they focus their “complete attention on executing each step of the distillation process.” And yet, for all this detail, the official “Production Process” somehow fails to mention that Templeton doesn’t actually do the distilling."

https://www.thedailybeast.com/your-craf ... in-indiana

Now the search is on to determine if any sells my favored rye cheaper than Bulleit.
The word craft on booze is in my experience (30yrs in pubs & I currently manage a micropub) with few exceptions an excuse to charge more for an average product. Especially if it's spelt with a 'k'.
This post by AndreRitter liked by (total 2):
Fr_TomEllis You
:uh:
racinghoss

I own a whisk(e)y education and tasting company and have corporate certifications in bourbons, working on the Whisky Masterclass from Univ of Edinburgh.

Hooch is sitting where craft beer did 20-25 years ago. But you're right, many "craft" hooches are all from the same distillery in IN. They take thier whiskey, and age it with thier own barrels, etc to make thier own stuff.

Still, you dont have to pay $100 for good hooch. Evan William's Single Barrel, Elijah Craig, and a slew of others are very, very good and under $30.
This post by racinghoss liked by (total 2):
avidEllis You