Coffee

Tsal
Forum Decorum

ncrobb wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 7:40 pm I may have told you guys this before. One of my best friends when I was in high school had a grand father who had worked as a cowboy when he was young. A wrangler cowboy, not a rodeo cowboy. This fellow was old old when we were kids Any way, Cliff cooked out doors over a fire or coals. He made the best steaks and biscuits but his coffee was incredible. He would take a clean bandanna and put a handful of coffee and an egg he had washed and tie it up in a knot. A fresh, uncooked egg. In a blue enamel coffee pot he had water heating up and about the time the water was boiling he would crush the egg and put the egg/coffee mix in the bandanna into the water. After it boiled a few minutes he’d pour it for us. I thought it was the grandest thing ever. Old Cliff was a character for sure. I miss him.
The egg would act as a filter as it would catch all the impurities and strain at the same time. A clssic French Technique when clarifying Consommé, the egg is known as a "raft". Thee end.
The Troll Whisperer
ncrobb
Founding Member

Tsal wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 5:31 am
ncrobb wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 7:40 pm I may have told you guys this before. One of my best friends when I was in high school had a grand father who had worked as a cowboy when he was young. A wrangler cowboy, not a rodeo cowboy. This fellow was old old when we were kids Any way, Cliff cooked out doors over a fire or coals. He made the best steaks and biscuits but his coffee was incredible. He would take a clean bandanna and put a handful of coffee and an egg he had washed and tie it up in a knot. A fresh, uncooked egg. In a blue enamel coffee pot he had water heating up and about the time the water was boiling he would crush the egg and put the egg/coffee mix in the bandanna into the water. After it boiled a few minutes he’d pour it for us. I thought it was the grandest thing ever. Old Cliff was a character for sure. I miss him.
The egg would act as a filter as it would catch all the impurities and strain at the same time. A clssic French Technique when clarifying Consommé, the egg is known as a "raft". Thee end.
Wow, I never thought of Cliff as upscale. He never came across as bougie in his worn cowboy boots, faded jeans and snap button shirts. I bet he dreamed in French. 😂
“I’d like to ride the rodeo, but I got Brahma Fear.” - Jimmy Buffett
Tsal
Forum Decorum

ncrobb wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:12 am
Wow, I never thought of Cliff as upscale. He never came across as bougie in his worn cowboy boots, faded jeans and snap button shirts. I bet he dreamed in French. 😂
You do know that Europeans settled all over the country hundreds of years ago. Some turned out to be cowboy's. French techniques are the base of how we all cook today.

Someone taught ol Cliff that technique. He didn't just wake up and say I'll put an egg in this here coffee.
The Troll Whisperer
ncrobb
Founding Member

Tsal wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:37 am
You do know that Europeans settled all over the country hundreds of years ago. Some turned out to be cowboy's. French techniques are the base of how we all cook today.

Someone taught ol Cliff that technique. He didn't just wake up and say I'll put an egg in this here coffee.
What? Huh? You mean people from outer space didn’t drop down to earth and populate Wyoming like they said on Ancient Aliens? It’s just odd to think of Cliff in the bunk house when it was 20 below in a blizzard watching Jacques Pepin on PBS and daring any of the other guys to change the channel. I get what what your saying though. They didn’t have cool books and the “how to” was passed down from one camp cookie to another.
“I’d like to ride the rodeo, but I got Brahma Fear.” - Jimmy Buffett
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

The first time I ever heard about the technique they said that they were making hobo coffee. Even the bums were classically trained
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
Tsal
Forum Decorum

Mr Beardsley wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:01 pm

The first time I ever heard about the technique they said that they were making hobo coffee. Even the bums were classically trained
The hobos have learnt if from somewhere.
The Troll Whisperer
Tsal
Forum Decorum

ncrobb wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:58 am

What? Huh? You mean people from outer space didn’t drop down to earth and populate Wyoming like they said on Ancient Aliens? It’s just odd to think of Cliff in the bunk house when it was 20 below in a blizzard watching Jacques Pepin on PBS and daring any of the other guys to change the channel. I get what what your saying though. They didn’t have cool books and the “how to” was passed down from one camp cookie to another.
None of this came from PBS or Jaques..this comes from generations prior. Besides if you were watching television cooking shows back in the day everyone knew Julia was the one to watch. Not this Jaques fella riding her coattails.
The Troll Whisperer
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

I have a fresh bag of donut shop beans from Amazon that I'll be busting into this week. Neither aliens nor a Frenchman dropped it off and I can't afford to waste an egg in the brewing.
Tsal
Forum Decorum

Mr Beardsley wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:53 pm I have a fresh bag of donut shop beans from Amazon that I'll be busting into this week. Neither aliens nor a Frenchman dropped it off and I can't afford to waste an egg in the brewing.
Right! C seeds prices are through the roof!
The Troll Whisperer
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

Tsal wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 1:41 pm
Mr Beardsley wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:53 pm I have a fresh bag of donut shop beans from Amazon that I'll be busting into this week. Neither aliens nor a Frenchman dropped it off and I can't afford to waste an egg in the brewing.
Right! C seeds prices are through the roof!
You ain't lying! It's worse than toilet paper at the beginning of the vague plague