Latest Pipe Acquisition 2019

Johnny
Member in Good Standing

Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:16 pm

[quote="Kevin Keith" post_id=25417 time=1550095948 user_id=57

I'm going to say it's a Chicago made Grabow. It looks like it might have lost the stampings on the left side. @Thelonious monkfish will probably know. Good score!
[/quote]

Thanks Kevin! I haven't tested the draw yet but think it's going to have a nice open draw. The stinger is what's really throwing me off. Haven't seen one like it
This post by Johnny liked by (total 4):
Kevin KeithThelonious monkfishFr_TomMiddle Earth
Johnny
Member in Good Standing

Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:20 pm

houtenziel wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:16 pm

It is really common for pipes, especially some factory pipes that are stamped upon completion, for the stamping to be so shallow so as to be completely lost when the finish comes off. The fact that the finish looks nearly gone makes me think that you might actually have a Linkman's. That stinger also looks identical to the Linkman's Grabow I had.
Cool! I am looking forward to smoking it and seeing how it smokes. Some of the finish being gone was my own fault. I scrubbed it pretty good. I couldn't see any markings on it or a shape number anyway. Linkman's are pretty old, right?
This post by Johnny liked by (total 5):
Kevin KeithThelonious monkfishFr_TomMiddle EarthGrimpeur
9 Iron
Founding Member

Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:28 pm

I caved in to all the codger pipe talk.

I have no codger pipes, meaning Grabows, Medicos, etc.. I once owned a Grabow, many many years ago. All I can remember is I didn’t like it, I lost it shortly after I bought it and I didn’t care. To be fair, I was just learning to smoke a pipe and was pretty much doing everything wrong. I owned a Kaywoodie once, didn’t care for the stinger and screw tenon and traded it away. Still, the appeal is there and plenty of experienced pipe smokers like them, so I don’t want to entirely write them off.

Perusing WV Smokeshop this evening and came across a Yello-Bole Imperial lovat with some carving on it, $31. Sold!

This post by 9 Iron liked by (total 13):
IslayphilePeacockhoutenzielKevin KeithThelonious monkfishJohnnyrekamepipFr_TomMiddle EarthBruyere_RoyaleGrimpeurLongshanksLord Guyrox
houtenziel

Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:06 pm

9 Iron wrote:

I have no codger pipes, meaning Grabows, Medicos, etc.. I once owned a Grabow, many many years ago. All I can remember is I didn’t like it, I lost it shortly after I bought it and I didn’t care. To be fair, I was just learning to smoke a pipe and was pretty much doing everything wrong. I owned a Kaywoodie once, didn’t care for the stinger and screw tenon and traded it away. Still, the appeal is there and plenty of experienced pipe smokers like them, so I don’t want to entirely write them off.

Perusing WV Smokeshop this evening and came across a Yello-Bole Imperial lovat with some carving on it, $31. Sold!

Props for going full on codger and getting the one with the leaf carvings. :thumbs:
This post by houtenziel liked by (total 9):
Kevin KeithJohnnyThelonious monkfishFr_TomMiddle EarthBruyere_RoyaleGrimpeurPeacockLord Guyrox
"Today is a good day for a good day." - KK
Thelonious monkfish

Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:09 pm

Johnny wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:59 pm
This finally arrived from ebay. Paid $7 for it. Thought it was a Grabow but it's not. On the shank it says Imported Bruyere. I guess it's a no name but the logo on the stem tells me that it might be a Linkman's? The finish was coming off pretty good so I stuck her in the sink and scrubbed the hell out of it with a scrubber sponge, soap and water. Seems to be drilled pretty well and should be a good enough smoker. Gonna let it dry for a few days before trying. The weird thing is while cleaning out the stem with a bristle cleaner, it took away some of the material....might have been caked up but I can't tell for sure. I'll probably invest in some fine sand paper and get the rest of the finish off when I have a few extra bucks.

Swear I left a post about this already but don't see it here....... I'll try later when I feel like typing it all out again.
This post by Thelonious monkfish liked by (total 6):
JohnnyFr_TomKevin KeithFlyfish FallsMiddle EarthBruyere_Royale
Johnny
Member in Good Standing

Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:50 pm

Thelonious monkfish wrote:
Johnny wrote:
This finally arrived from ebay. Paid $7 for it. Thought it was a Grabow but it's not. On the shank it says Imported Bruyere. I guess it's a no name but the logo on the stem tells me that it might be a Linkman's? The finish was coming off pretty good so I stuck her in the sink and scrubbed the hell out of it with a scrubber sponge, soap and water. Seems to be drilled pretty well and should be a good enough smoker. Gonna let it dry for a few days before trying. The weird thing is while cleaning out the stem with a bristle cleaner, it took away some of the material....might have been caked up but I can't tell for sure. I'll probably invest in some fine sand paper and get the rest of the finish off when I have a few extra bucks.

Swear I left a post about this already but don't see it here....... I'll try later when I feel like typing it all out again.
You did post earlier. I'm not seeing it either. Weird
This post by Johnny liked by (total 3):
Thelonious monkfishFr_TomMiddle Earth
Thelonious monkfish

Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:03 pm

One more time with far less effort. Spade on top of stem pointing at smoker, type VI stinger, pipe was made in Chicago between 44-50 and is a shape 2307.
This post by Thelonious monkfish liked by (total 8):
JohnnyMr BeardsleyKevin KeithhoutenzielMiddle EarthBruyere_RoyaleGrimpeurFr_Tom
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:06 am

Thelonious monkfish wrote:
Johnny wrote:

You sure did! Others are noticing missing messages too. I'll pass it along to the administrator.
This post by Kevin Keith liked by (total 5):
Middle EarthBruyere_RoyaleGrimpeurThelonious monkfishFr_Tom
Middle Earth

Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:56 am

9 Iron wrote:

Saw that one. Nice score.
This post by Middle Earth liked by (total 4):
Fr_TomBruyere_RoyaleGrimpeurThelonious monkfish
9 Iron
Founding Member

Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:27 am

Middle Earth wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:56 am
Saw that one. Nice score.
With pipes like these I think it will all come down to the stem. I’ve got some very inexpensive pipes that managed to have stems that had good open airways and good internal dimensions in relation to the shank bore. Bottom line, they smoke freely and don’t gurgle. I’ve also owned some pretty expensive (for me) pipes that I would expect to be carefully drilled and they turned out to be awful. I think the briar itself will be fine, button fit and bite area can easily be adjusted, a nice V cut in the bit end can easily be cut. None of these things I mind doing. Being a lovat, with that abbreviated stem, it should be easy to make any internal fine tunings needed. If it’s decent stem material (I greatly prefer lucite but can live with vulcanite if it’s decent quality) the pipe should be a solid smoker.

I sure like the look of it, and I love me a lovat!
This post by 9 Iron liked by (total 4):
GrimpeurThelonious monkfishPeacockFr_Tom