Latest Pipe Acquisition 2019

User avatar
avid
Member in Good Standing
Posts: 981
Joined: Mon May 07, 2018 1:01 pm

Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:35 pm

Grimpeur wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:54 am
Fr_Tom wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:45 am
Kevin Keith wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:59 am

Some woodwind instrument mouthpiece sans reed. Saxophone say I.
Isn't a saxophone really just a fancy duck call?
It's early days, but I bet I won't read anything funnier than that this year!
I'd rather listen to a dozen banjos than one sax...and that's saying something.
you guys might be on to something, but that aint no drake

This post by avid liked by (total 5):
IslayphileMr BeardsleyFr_TomBruyere_RoyaleGrimpeur
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
insufferable filter guy
User avatar
houtenziel
Senior Member
Posts: 2072
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:58 pm
Location: Oregon

Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:06 pm

Longshanks wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:03 pm
houtenziel wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:10 pm
Fr_Tom wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:58 pm


We will see. I am a man who has a tube of superglue and is not afraid to use it.
I just went back and scanned the photos on full brightness and couldn't see anything that looks like a crack. :?:
Awesome, so you're telling me I missed out on a great deal. LOL Hey, at least Fr. Tom got it. I'm okay with that. ;)
Here's an illustration of what I thought I saw... arrow heads point to the bottom of what I thought was a hairline crack. I wear glasses for near-sightedness, so pardon the mistake. :bang:

Image
I see what you are saying. I would probably chalk that up to lighting myself. You are a very cautious man :)
This post by houtenziel liked by (total 6):
avidIslayphileFr_TomBruyere_RoyaleGrimpeurLongshanks
"Today is a good day for a good day." - KK
User avatar
Fr_Tom
Chaplain
Posts: 6980
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:44 pm
Location: Diocese of Northern Indiana

Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:13 pm

houtenziel wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:10 pm
Fr_Tom wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:58 pm
Longshanks wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:37 pm


Grats! I almost bid on that one, but pics showed what looked to be a hairline crack around the bottom of the bowl. It blended so well with the brush lines I couldn't tell if they were just "clean" lines or actual cracks within the line. Maybe it's a repair job? I don't know. I'd have asked the seller about it, but I figured I'd get some response like "I don't know anything about pipes."

Anyway, I hope this is not the case and you receive a solid chunk of briar. :thumbs:
We will see. I am a man who has a tube of superglue and is not afraid to use it.
I just went back and scanned the photos on full brightness and couldn't see anything that looks like a crack. :?:
I had not seen anything to make me run away. I have bought pipes that have had a crack or some problem the "junktique" dealer would not have known to notice or point out if he had wanted to. All of them are still in use and seem to be holding up OK. The Weber billiard I smoked this morning is one of those pipes.

I figure if I have $11 or $12 in something I will use, it is not worth the hassle of sending it back and creating a stink. It is after all a Grabow Starfire, and I like saddle-bit stems.

If I smoke it for a few years and it falls apart, I am not going to be bitter or harbor resentment. It is not like I am buying pipes as an investment or with plans to sell them.

Here is some detail on the Weber crack. I think I paid $8.99 for this shipped from some vendor who sold mostly mantlepiece curios. It seems pretty stable and has not gotten worse in the time I have had it. There is still time for superglue if it gets worse.

Image
This post by Fr_Tom liked by (total 7):
houtenzielBruyere_RoyaleMr BeardsleyGrimpeurLongshanksThelonious monkfishavid
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
User avatar
Bruyere_Royale
Founding Member
Posts: 2391
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:27 pm
Location: Pine Barrens

Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:59 pm

Longshanks wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:03 pm
houtenziel wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:10 pm
Fr_Tom wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:58 pm


We will see. I am a man who has a tube of superglue and is not afraid to use it.
I just went back and scanned the photos on full brightness and couldn't see anything that looks like a crack. :?:
Awesome, so you're telling me I missed out on a great deal. LOL Hey, at least Fr. Tom got it. I'm okay with that. ;)
Here's an illustration of what I thought I saw... arrow heads point to the bottom of what I thought was a hairline crack. I wear glasses for near-sightedness, so pardon the mistake. :bang:

Image
Maybe it's time to up the prescription. Lol
I just got my first pair of reading glasses, I feel like my grandfather switching back and forth between the two to see.
This post by Bruyere_Royale liked by (total 6):
Fr_TomMr BeardsleyGrimpeurIslayphileLongshanksThelonious monkfish
Tsal... 🎳
Lord Guyrox
Active Member
Posts: 100
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:52 am

Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:34 pm

And my Savinelli 320s Seven Day set is now complete with these two newly found additions. :clap:

A Bianca Rusticated

Image

A Marron Glacé Rusticated (I am really digging that stem!)

Image

I was some good work over the last few months requiring some patience; but I have 320s that I will surely enjoy.
This post by Lord Guyrox liked by (total 11):
houtenzielMr BeardsleyJohnnyRuffinogoldIslayphileFr_TomThelonious monkfishBruyere_RoyaleGrimpeurLongshanksrekamepip
WHAT HAPPENED TO FREEDOM OF EXPRESSION?

Image
User avatar
Ruffinogold
The Mayor
Posts: 1558
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:48 pm
Location: Mineral Bluff , Georgia

Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:26 pm

Lord Guyrox wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:34 pm
And my Savinelli 320s Seven Day set is now complete with these two newly found additions. :clap:

A Bianca Rusticated

Image

A Marron Glacé Rusticated (I am really digging that stem!)

Image

I was some good work over the last few months requiring some patience; but I have 320s that I will surely enjoy.
Fantastic , man !!!
This post by Ruffinogold liked by (total 5):
Fr_TomThelonious monkfishLord GuyroxIslayphileBruyere_Royale
" Ya don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows "
User avatar
houtenziel
Senior Member
Posts: 2072
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:58 pm
Location: Oregon

Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:11 pm

New Falcon arrived. Pretty sad that GQ can get this thing to me in about half the time it takes P&C to ship me something.
Image
This post by houtenziel liked by (total 12):
Fr_TomLord GuyroxavidIslayphileMr BeardsleyBruyere_RoyalePeacockJohnnyrekamepipThelonious monkfishGrimpeurLongshanks
"Today is a good day for a good day." - KK
Johnny
Member in Good Standing
Posts: 616
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:37 am
Location: New York

Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:59 pm

This finally arrived from ebay. Paid $7 for it. Thought it was a Grabow but it's not. On the shank it says Imported Bruyere. I guess it's a no name but the logo on the stem tells me that it might be a Linkman's? The finish was coming off pretty good so I stuck her in the sink and scrubbed the hell out of it with a scrubber sponge, soap and water. Seems to be drilled pretty well and should be a good enough smoker. Gonna let it dry for a few days before trying. The weird thing is while cleaning out the stem with a bristle cleaner, it took away some of the material....might have been caked up but I can't tell for sure. I'll probably invest in some fine sand paper and get the rest of the finish off when I have a few extra bucks.

Image

Image

Image

Image
This post by Johnny liked by (total 7):
Kevin KeithFr_TomrekamepipThelonious monkfishBruyere_RoyaleGrimpeurLongshanks
User avatar
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah
Posts: 2557
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:59 pm
Location: Port Isabel

Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:12 pm

Johnny wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:59 pm
This finally arrived from ebay. Paid $7 for it. Thought it was a Grabow but it's not. On the shank it says Imported Bruyere. I guess it's a no name but the logo on the stem tells me that it might be a Linkman's? The finish was coming off pretty good so I stuck her in the sink and scrubbed the hell out of it with a scrubber sponge, soap and water. Seems to be drilled pretty well and should be a good enough smoker. Gonna let it dry for a few days before trying. The weird thing is while cleaning out the stem with a bristle cleaner, it took away some of the material....might have been caked up but I can't tell for sure. I'll probably invest in some fine sand paper and get the rest of the finish off when I have a few extra bucks.

Image

Image

Image

Image
I'm going to say it's a Chicago made Grabow. It looks like it might have lost the stampings on the left side. @Thelonious monkfish will probably know. Good score!
This post by Kevin Keith liked by (total 6):
JohnnyFr_TomrekamepipThelonious monkfishBruyere_RoyaleGrimpeur
Image
User avatar
houtenziel
Senior Member
Posts: 2072
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:58 pm
Location: Oregon

Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:16 pm

Johnny wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:59 pm
This finally arrived from ebay. Paid $7 for it. Thought it was a Grabow but it's not. On the shank it says Imported Bruyere. I guess it's a no name but the logo on the stem tells me that it might be a Linkman's? The finish was coming off pretty good so I stuck her in the sink and scrubbed the hell out of it with a scrubber sponge, soap and water. Seems to be drilled pretty well and should be a good enough smoker. Gonna let it dry for a few days before trying. The weird thing is while cleaning out the stem with a bristle cleaner, it took away some of the material....might have been caked up but I can't tell for sure. I'll probably invest in some fine sand paper and get the rest of the finish off when I have a few extra bucks.

Image

Image

Image

Image
It is really common for pipes, especially some factory pipes that are stamped upon completion, for the stamping to be so shallow so as to be completely lost when the finish comes off. The fact that the finish looks nearly gone makes me think that you might actually have a Linkman's. That stinger also looks identical to the Linkman's Grabow I had.

Try wiping a wet finger across the left side of the shank to see if any stampings pop out.
Last edited by houtenziel on Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This post by houtenziel liked by (total 6):
JohnnyKevin KeithThelonious monkfishFr_TomBruyere_RoyaleGrimpeur
"Today is a good day for a good day." - KK
Post Reply