What's Going on With the Gawith Hoggarth & Co?

Lord Guyrox
Active Member
Posts: 100
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:52 am

Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:33 am

It could be the labelling changes but I have a hard time understanding why things were not planned to allow the new tins to hit the market without such a long hiatus.
SG & HG have merged more than 3, if not 4 years ago, so I don't see this as an issue - unless something sinister is at work which would be unlikely as the UK does not seem to experience supply issues on GH and SG.
Mass purchases from pipesters? Gee, some have lots of money.
I am starting to think there could be some disagreements with the current US distributor regarding the contract renewal which has forced GH to seek a new distributor. That happened with both Dunhill and SG about 8 or 9 years ago, if memory serves. Supply had been disrupted for over a year.
This post by Lord Guyrox liked by (total 6):
slowrollMikeDennisonIslayphileBruyere_RoyaleThelonious monkfishMaynard
WHAT HAPPENED TO FREEDOM OF EXPRESSION?

Image
User avatar
MikeDennison
Senior Member
Posts: 1444
Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:18 pm

Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:53 am

Fr_Tom wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:32 am
Thelonious monkfish wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:42 am
Drugstore Burley though, that's always here...
It is a good thing I like it.
As I read @Theloinous monkfish post, I thought "Yaaaaaayyyyyyy!"
This post by MikeDennison liked by (total 4):
IslayphilehoutenzielThelonious monkfishMaynard
User avatar
Bruyere_Royale
Founding Member
Posts: 1778
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:27 pm
Location: Pine Barrens

Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:18 pm

Lord Guyrox wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:33 am
It could be the labelling changes but I have a hard time understanding why things were not planned to allow the new tins to hit the market without such a long hiatus.
SG & HG have merged more than 3, if not 4 years ago, so I don't see this as an issue - unless something sinister is at work which would be unlikely as the UK does not seem to experience supply issues on GH and SG.
Mass purchases from pipesters? Gee, some have lots of money.
I am starting to think there could be some disagreements with the current US distributor regarding the contract renewal which has forced GH to seek a new distributor. That happened with both Dunhill and SG about 8 or 9 years ago, if memory serves. Supply had been disrupted for over a year.
I would chalk it up to hoarders... as soon as they get their email in stock notifications they act fast not to loose the opportunity.
This post by Bruyere_Royale liked by (total 4):
MikeDennisonhoutenzielThelonious monkfishMaynard
Tsal...
User avatar
Bruyere_Royale
Founding Member
Posts: 1778
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:27 pm
Location: Pine Barrens

Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:21 pm

Fr_Tom wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:32 am
Thelonious monkfish wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:42 am
Drugstore Burley though, that's always here...
It is a good thing I like it.
Me too. It's nice to have the fancy stuff on hand but in general I just like to smoke.
This post by Bruyere_Royale liked by (total 5):
IslayphileMikeDennisonhoutenzielMr BeardsleyThelonious monkfish
Tsal...
User avatar
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member
Posts: 1665
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:16 am

Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:16 pm

Bruyere_Royale wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:21 pm
Fr_Tom wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:32 am
Thelonious monkfish wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:42 am
Drugstore Burley though, that's always here...
It is a good thing I like it.
Me too. It's nice to have the fancy stuff on hand but in general I just like to smoke.
Exactly. I've been lucky enough to build up some of the fancy pants stuff but I'm just as happy with a cheap and simple blend
This post by Mr Beardsley liked by (total 4):
IslayphileBruyere_RoyaleThelonious monkfishMaynard
Not the brightest bulb in the fixture ;)
User avatar
Thelonious monkfish
Senior Member
Posts: 1128
Joined: Fri May 04, 2018 2:39 pm

Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:39 pm

Mr Beardsley wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:16 pm
Bruyere_Royale wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:21 pm
Fr_Tom wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:32 am


It is a good thing I like it.
Me too. It's nice to have the fancy stuff on hand but in general I just like to smoke.
Exactly. I've been lucky enough to build up some of the fancy pants stuff but I'm just as happy with a cheap and simple blend
I like both equally, just depends on mood, and availability/cost. If I were smarter I would just have a nice cob or two and a garage bursting with tubs of CH and PA.
This post by Thelonious monkfish liked by (total 4):
IslayphilehoutenzielMr BeardsleyBruyere_Royale
User avatar
Bruyere_Royale
Founding Member
Posts: 1778
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:27 pm
Location: Pine Barrens

Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:59 pm

Thelonious monkfish wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:39 pm
Mr Beardsley wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:16 pm
Bruyere_Royale wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:21 pm


Me too. It's nice to have the fancy stuff on hand but in general I just like to smoke.
Exactly. I've been lucky enough to build up some of the fancy pants stuff but I'm just as happy with a cheap and simple blend
I like both equally, just depends on mood, and availability/cost. If I were smarter I would just have a nice cob or two and a garage bursting with tubs of CH and PA.
As soon as I burn through my current supply of tobacco which isn't much , I'm just buying pouch/tub blends. I've spent a fortune over the last few years on imported tobacco and I'm really not that interested to keep trying new stuff or pay premium prices. Back to the basics...
This post by Bruyere_Royale liked by (total 5):
Mr BeardsleyKevin KeithThelonious monkfishFr_TomWildcrow
Tsal...
User avatar
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member
Posts: 1665
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:16 am

Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:25 pm

Bruyere_Royale wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:59 pm
Thelonious monkfish wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:39 pm
Mr Beardsley wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:16 pm


Exactly. I've been lucky enough to build up some of the fancy pants stuff but I'm just as happy with a cheap and simple blend
I like both equally, just depends on mood, and availability/cost. If I were smarter I would just have a nice cob or two and a garage bursting with tubs of CH and PA.
As soon as I burn through my current supply of tobacco which isn't much , I'm just buying pouch/tub blends. I've spent a fortune over the last few years on imported tobacco and I'm really not that interested to keep trying new stuff or pay premium prices. Back to the basics...
Some solid thinking in my opinion! Anyone who sees what I smoke day to day has figured out that I'm equally content with euro unobtainium or dime store pouches. I just like tobacco
This post by Mr Beardsley liked by (total 3):
Thelonious monkfishBruyere_RoyaleFr_Tom
Not the brightest bulb in the fixture ;)
User avatar
Thelonious monkfish
Senior Member
Posts: 1128
Joined: Fri May 04, 2018 2:39 pm

Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:14 pm

Bruyere_Royale wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:59 pm

As soon as I burn through my current supply of tobacco which isn't much , I'm just buying pouch/tub blends. I've spent a fortune over the last few years on imported tobacco and I'm really not that interested to keep trying new stuff or pay premium prices. Back to the basics...
Smart. I won't pay premium prices but biding my time for the prime intersection of coupons, codes, sales, and available product becomes more difficult. I don't see myself getting 500g of Ennerdale for thirty bucks too easily anymore. This allowed me to enjoy both equally, outside of SPRT any pound/500g was $23-35. No pedestals or special blends, why have something I don't want to smoke but do? Creating conflict is not conducive to relaxation. I am torn on smoking my remaining McClelland stuff however but I bought it before the closing so it wasn't planned, would have more otherwise.
This post by Thelonious monkfish liked by (total 4):
IslayphileFr_TomBruyere_RoyaleKevin Keith
User avatar
Bruyere_Royale
Founding Member
Posts: 1778
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:27 pm
Location: Pine Barrens

Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:28 am

Thelonious monkfish wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:14 pm
Bruyere_Royale wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:59 pm

As soon as I burn through my current supply of tobacco which isn't much , I'm just buying pouch/tub blends. I've spent a fortune over the last few years on imported tobacco and I'm really not that interested to keep trying new stuff or pay premium prices. Back to the basics...
Smart. I won't pay premium prices but biding my time for the prime intersection of coupons, codes, sales, and available product becomes more difficult. I don't see myself getting 500g of Ennerdale for thirty bucks too easily anymore. This allowed me to enjoy both equally, outside of SPRT any pound/500g was $23-35. No pedestals or special blends, why have something I don't want to smoke but do? Creating conflict is not conducive to relaxation. I am torn on smoking my remaining McClelland stuff however but I bought it before the closing so it wasn't planned, would have more otherwise.
I say no better time like the present to start smoking your McClellan stuff. If you like the tobacco and have a lot of it why not enjoy some today? Carpe Diem
This post by Bruyere_Royale liked by (total 3):
IslayphileFr_TomThelonious monkfish
Tsal...
Post Reply