What Hand Made Cigar Are You Smoking Today? WHMCAYST™

HSigurdsson

A bit off topic, but I only smoked a few cigars last year.
As most of you know I quit smoking tobacco in 2017 and started again in 2023.
Long before I started smoking a pipe, I smoked cigars.
I took up the pipe because I wanted new flavors, then I fell deeply for the pipe in about 2006. Sinse then Ive only smoked a handful of cigars.
But........I have a humidor or two packed full of very, very well aged cigars.
I have been keeping these humidors going flawlessly for over two decades.
But, ive smoked maybe 20 cigars sinse starting the pipe in 2006.
So, most of the cigars I have are at least 13 years in the humidor.
Everything from Indian Tabac to Fuente Anejo (white label) and Don Carlos(black label).
I have a few cigars we got in Florida (2010) from a guy who sits in the street and rolls them.
Apparently he rolled cigars in Cuba for decades before moving to Florida.
I have his business card somewhere, ill look for it.
He rolls very large (64 gauge) from Robusto to Churchill size and all sorts of Torpedoes, but they are all 64 gauge or larger.
They were ridiculously inexpensive so I only bought 5.....for $20.
Ive smoked 2 of them and they were fantastic, I wish I had bought more.
My point to all this is that this year im going to smoke through my humidors.
Im pretty tired of monitoring them and adding water to the beads.
Back in the day the only place I could buy cigars was online.
But now there is a great cigar shop on the local reservation with laughably inexpensive cigars. I have browsed his shop several times. The other day I noticed he has Opus Sharks for $22, they can be $60 online.
Super expensive cigars arent my thing but that was the most expensive I saw in his store. He has the regular premium lineup.....RyJ, Fuente, Padron, Alec Bradley, Rocky Patel, H Upmann, Macanudo.......for $4-$10 a piece.
After I clear out my humidors im just going to buy a few there and use my small (25 count) humidor to keep them good.
My next post in this thread will be a review of a cigar, I promise.
Piping Abe
Certified Codger

Just wrapped an after work cigar for the 4th day inna row. A Crux Nimfamaniac Dark. Loved it. Sadly they dont make these any more

The Secret to Happiness is Low Expectations
Piping Abe
Certified Codger

HSigurdsson wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 1:45 pm A bit off topic, but I only smoked a few cigars last year.
I took up the pipe because I wanted new flavors, then I fell deeply for the pipe in about 2006. Sinse then Ive only smoked a handful of cigars.
Everything from Indian Tabac to Fuente Anejo (white label) and Don Carlos(black label).
I have a few cigars we got in Florida (2010) from a guy who sits in the street and rolls them.
He rolls very large (64 gauge) from Robusto to Churchill size and all sorts of Torpedoes, but they are all 64 gauge or larger.
But now there is a great cigar shop on the local reservation with laughably inexpensive cigars. I have browsed his shop several times. The other day I noticed he has Opus Sharks for $22, they can be $60 online.
Super expensive cigars arent my thing but that was the most expensive I saw in his store. He has the regular premium lineup.....RyJ, Fuente, Padron, Alec Bradley, Rocky Patel, H Upmann, Macanudo.......for $4-$10 a piece.
After I clear out my humidors im just going to buy a few there and use my small (25 count) humidor to keep them good.
Looking forward to your reviews! These days most people use Boveda Packs for humidification. It’s waay easier. You just toss them in. But you need the right amount for your size humidor. They have all the info on Youtube and their Website. I love them. Pop it in and leave it.
HSigurdsson

Piping Abe wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 4:12 pm
HSigurdsson wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 1:45 pm A bit off topic, but I only smoked a few cigars last year.
Looking forward to your reviews! These days most people use Boveda Packs for humidification. It’s waay easier. You just toss them in. But you need the right amount for your size humidor. They have all the info on Youtube and their Website. I love them. Pop it in and leave it.
Yes, ive used Boveda packs before, I used to have many more humidors. :)
I much prefer the beads because they are even easier to use and far, far less expensive. Im still using the first beads I bought in about 2006 or so from Heartfelt Industries.... Im not sure they are even in business anymore.
I paid like $40 for the beads 18 years ago and im still using them.
I bought 70% humidity beads but learned I prefer more in the 65% range but the beads work great. The only reason ive kept up with these humidors is because of the beads. I add water about 2x a year for one humidor and 3x for the bigger humidor.
A good quality humidor is the key to good humidor health. Ive never had any mold issues but many of the "naked" cigars I have now have a good bloom going.
The beads work so well that I havent used a hygrometer in about 15 years....it stays at 70% on the nose. I have the beads they sold in the tubes which makes it easy to guess how many to use and it keeps them tidy. They take up as much room as one large cigar.
Piping Abe
Certified Codger

HSigurdsson wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 5:01 pm
I much prefer the beads because they are even easier to use and far, far less expensive. Im still using the first beads I bought in about 2006 or so from Heartfelt Industries.... Im not sure they are even in business anymore.
I bought 70% humidity beads but learned I prefer more in the 65% range but the beads work great. The only reason ive kept up with these humidors is because of the beads. I add water about 2x a year for one humidor and 3x for the bigger humidor.
A good quality humidor is the key to good humidor health. Ive never had any mold issues but many of the "naked" cigars I have now have a good bloom going.
The beads work so well that I havent used a hygrometer in about 15 years....it stays at 70% on the nose. I have the beads they sold in the tubes which makes it easy to guess how many to use and it keeps them tidy. They take up as much room as one large cigar.
Wow that sounds convenient and easy. I mentioned Boveda because some old asses like @Ruffinogold have never heard of them :D
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Absolutely dig in to those aged ones ! But I think you should refrain from smoking at least a few of them
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Piping Abe wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 5:05 pm

Wow that sounds convenient and easy. I mentioned Boveda because some old asses like @Ruffinogold have never heard of them :D
Lol .... Yeah , I was like what the gee willikers is this thing
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
HSigurdsson

Piping Abe wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 5:05 pm

I believe a lot of people don't like the beads because of the price.
But they are buy once, cry once.
As long as you take care of them.
If you over water them they can shatter.
And if you any mold on them, they are done.
I use Boveda when I take a few sticks in a Tupperware on a trip.
HSigurdsson

Ruffinogold wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 8:59 pm
Absolutely dig in to those aged ones ! But I think you should refrain from smoking at least a few of them
I have a few that I might hold off on.
Years ago when Pete Johnson started Tatuaje Cigars, they made some monster themed sticks.....I believe..... not sure.
Anyways, I bought a couple of the "Frank" ones.....short for Frankenstein.
That was maybe....ummmmm....aaaaa.......2004-2006.......maybe.
I have one of them still in the humidor. I also have the presentation box it came in. They were extremely limited edition.
I also have a couple very limited Rocky Patel from around that time.
I got them at an event in Florida right from Rockies own hand. :)
Not sure why I haven't smoked them, or why id save them, but who knows.
I am no longer a "limited edition" kinda guy.
This was back when I bought expensive cigars, pipes and out of production tobacco.
Now im content with Segundo cigars and corn cob pipes.
Do they even make those Segundos anymore?
They were very tasty seconds...hence the Segundos.....from an old tobacco factory in Mexico somewhere I believe.
ncrobb
Founding Member

Currently enjoying a Romeo y Julieta 1875 Reserva Real. No pic- its dark and Gus wouldn’t show up anyway.
“I’d like to ride the rodeo, but I got Brahma Fear.” - Jimmy Buffett