What's For Supper?

Piping Abe
Certified Codger

Citizen B wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 9:43 pm Mrs. King and I often go out to breakfast but rarely out to dinner. I was treated to the pleasure of her company this evening. We went to Cafe Degas, up the street. It is very romantic. https://cafedegas.com

I really enjoyed our conversation. I am a very lucky man.

The waiter gave us the menus and I glanced at the specials. "Hold the phone!" I exclaimed when I read the first thing on the menu. "Stop the presses!" I exclaimed when I red the second things on the menu.

"Lower your voice," Mrs. King said. "The whole dining room doesn't need to know you're excited."

I stopped reading the menu. I knew what I wanted. Two appetizers. I eat like a bird anyway. I would normally just get one. I love the quail at Cafe Degas. That was what I was going to order. No longer. The die was cast.

Mrs. King had French onion soup and two big ravioli. Mrs. King is the opposite of me. She genuinely enjoys everything and looks at the lighter side of life. This is why we balance each other out.

It started raining.

I had duck soup. I did not like it. One lousy piece of duck does not a duck soup make. Plus, it was weird. But, followed by the soup, I had frogs legs.

All is right in the world. It has been so long since I've had frogs legs. They came with asparagus. And, I had a nice wide-ranging talk with Mrs. King about things we do not normally discuss. It is good to be half of a whole. Young people don't understand this.

It was a satisfying supper from every angle.
Wonderful story. I resonate with your last paragraph. Rarely get out with my Wife alone, just the two of us these days. When we do, we really enjoy it. Even just browsing the grocery store like we used to.
The Secret to Happiness is Low Expectations
Puff nstuff

Beer.
Because sometimes the body just wants canned fish. 🦪
Puff nstuff

Sheet pan veggie roast again, this time with some Hungarian smoked sausage, along with corn pudding. It's a nice combination for a cold, rainy night. Kitchen smells wonderful!
Because sometimes the body just wants canned fish. 🦪
Plinsc
Member in Good Standing

Rainy, chilly overcast day here today, the Mrs is making meatloaf and mashed potatoes and gravy!
Just a hill William with a BS in Appalachian Engineering
montag

Did anyone else make homemade corned beef and cabbage for St. Patrick's Day?

Tsal
Forum Decorum

montag wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 5:33 pm Did anyone else make homemade corned beef and cabbage for St. Patrick's Day?

I did not. I get take out from the diner that does it better than I ever could.
The Troll Whisperer
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

Homemade corned beef and cabbage here...
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

I never liked the sound of that… corned beef. Corned. Weird. Why does it turn that color? Give me regular beef!
!
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
Plinsc
Member in Good Standing

Wife made it today !
Just a hill William with a BS in Appalachian Engineering
MikeDennison
Certified Codger

Roast beef that melted in the mouth, poutine, and peas. Homina.
"I realized I had the gift of seeming to know more than I actually did." -A.J. Cronin-