Thrift Store Tobacciana

Wildcat
Codger in Training

Riff89 wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 11:07 am
Wildcat wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 9:45 am Grabbed this yesterday at the SA. The Mrs has a sizable Santa collection and when we find them, we pick up Santas when he still smoked a pipe. Most newer Santa merchandise is PC now.

I always wanted my wife to let me smoke in the house on Xmas eve to really give it that Santa stopped by smell but she was always so worried about the kids health that she snot me down. I am now able to smoke in the man cave which is great but something about firing up a big pipe full of burley while listening to Christmas music and drinking cocoa with the family always appealed to me and I don’t really like Christmas all that much (at least not what it’s become) I’m more of a thanksgiving guy it’s all the feels none of the commercialization.
I understand what you mean about today's sanitized and commercialized "X-mas." It's not Christmas for sure, but we try real hard around here to make Christ our focus, with Santa etc, in the background.
I'm fortunate, I smoke on and off in the house during the holiday season. Mrs Cat would let me smoke indoors all the time, but out of deference to her I don't. I even limit what and how often I smoke in my study.

Anyway, our new Santa plate is going to be out year round apparently, on a shelf in the kitchen where my clay lives. The Middleton Apple pouch @colorduke is going to send me will be framed or shadowboxed and be part of the apple grouping you see on the right.

I wonder if "blame Wildcat" will become a theme here? - Fr_Tom
Riff89

Wildcat wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 12:35 pm
Riff89 wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 11:07 am
Wildcat wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 9:45 am Grabbed this yesterday at the SA. The Mrs has a sizable Santa collection and when we find them, we pick up Santas when he still smoked a pipe. Most newer Santa merchandise is PC now.

I always wanted my wife to let me smoke in the house on Xmas eve to really give it that Santa stopped by smell but she was always so worried about the kids health that she snot me down. I am now able to smoke in the man cave which is great but something about firing up a big pipe full of burley while listening to Christmas music and drinking cocoa with the family always appealed to me and I don’t really like Christmas all that much (at least not what it’s become) I’m more of a thanksgiving guy it’s all the feels none of the commercialization.
I understand what you mean about today's sanitized and commercialized "X-mas." It's not Christmas for sure, but we try real hard around here to make Christ our focus, with Santa etc, in the background.
I'm fortunate, I smoke on and off in the house during the holiday season. Mrs Cat would let me smoke indoors all the time, but out of deference to her I don't. I even limit what and how often I smoke in my study.

Anyway, our new Santa plate is going to be out year round apparently, on a shelf in the kitchen where my clay lives. The Middleton Apple pouch @colorduke is going to send me will be framed or shadowboxed and be part of the apple grouping you see on the right.

My mom was Apple crazy in the late 90s early 00s I think everything in our kitchen had apples on it cabinets plates towels walls. Just apples everywhere.
Hey Sparky
Founding Member

Really cool finds there guys! I've been thinking over the past few weeks of hitting some of the local thrift stores and merchant markets in search of a pipe rack or two. This thread gives me more motivation to do so.
Riff89

Hey Sparky wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 8:03 am Really cool finds there guys! I've been thinking over the past few weeks of hitting some of the local thrift stores and merchant markets in search of a pipe rack or two. This thread gives me more motivation to do so.
I’ve found a lot of pipe racks at goodwill. Usually they are with the baskets and other oddball nick nacks. Good luck with your search, looking is half the fun you find some pretty interesting things at thrift stores
Silver
Certified Codger

Went on a family outing and stopped at a couple antique/junk shops. The pipe is a Medico. It came with the Kentucky Club tin.

Jlando19

Saw this at an antique shop the other day. It didn’t come home with me though. Avon. Who woulda thunk it.

ImageImage
"Good enough" is a false idol. Beware those that preach its virtue.
Wildcat
Codger in Training

Silver wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 2:06 pm Went on a family outing and stopped at a couple antique/junk shops. The pipe is a Medico. It came with the Kentucky Club tin.

While I really dig the Sugar Barrel and the GW, that Briggs tin is something else! Wow! Nice score 👍
I wonder if "blame Wildcat" will become a theme here? - Fr_Tom
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

Silver wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 2:06 pm Went on a family outing and stopped at a couple antique/junk shops. The pipe is a Medico. It came with the Kentucky Club tin.

Man those are all in beautiful condition! Nice score!
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

Jlando19 wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 4:42 pm Saw this at an antique shop the other day. It didn’t come home with me though. Avon. Who woulda thunk it.

ImageImage
Avon cologne in pipe shaped bottles was a thing for quite a while actually.
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
Jlando19

Mr Beardsley wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 8:19 pm
Jlando19 wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 4:42 pm Saw this at an antique shop the other day. It didn’t come home with me though. Avon. Who woulda thunk it.

ImageImage
Avon cologne in pipe shaped bottles was a thing for quite a while actually.
Very interesting. lol
"Good enough" is a false idol. Beware those that preach its virtue.