Today’s harvest (Not for weenies)

Riff89

Was out on the porch smoking when a bunch of geese flew over the house. Decided to go try and bag a couple. They outsmarted me but this Drake Teal wasn’t so lucky. The plan is to go see if I can jump shoot some geese first thing in the morning and then take my uncle road hunting for Grouse (he’s a disabled vet who can barely walk so don’t give me any grief lol) we will most likely ride old logging roads drink coffee smoke and not shoot a damned thing but the breeze but I think we’re both alright with that.
BlueRidge
Member in Good Standing

Muzzleloader in 2 days boyos! Hope this cold has them on the hoof
Tsal
Forum Decorum

Riff89 wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 8:06 pm Image

Was out on the porch smoking when a bunch of geese flew over the house. Decided to go try and bag a couple. They outsmarted me but this Drake Teal wasn’t so lucky. The plan is to go see if I can jump shoot some geese first thing in the morning and then take my uncle road hunting for Grouse (he’s a disabled vet who can barely walk so don’t give me any grief lol) we will most likely ride old logging roads drink coffee smoke and not shoot a damned thing but the breeze but I think we’re both alright with that.
Duck is delicious. 🍽
The Troll Whisperer
ncrobb
Founding Member

BlueRidge wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 11:10 am Muzzleloader in 2 days boyos! Hope this cold has them on the hoof
Seen lots of movement here since it turned cold. Good luck.
“I’d like to ride the rodeo, but I got Brahma Fear.” - Jimmy Buffett
Riff89

Tsal wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 12:12 pm

Duck is delicious. 🍽
Sure is @Tsal hes hanging as we speak. It’s in the upper 30s and I read somewhere to age your ducks for a day or 2 for better flavor. He’s gonna get plucked and dressed tomorrow wish me luck I’ve only ever breasted them out but I’m sick of wasting all that tasty skin.
Plinsc
Member in Good Standing

I raise ducks and always let the meat rest for a day in a salt brine. The meat will be tough if not, just like a deer.
We have Muscovy which taste pretty close to a sirloin steak, but you have to treat it like beef md not fowl when cooking.
Just a hill William with a BS in Appalachian Engineering
Tsal
Forum Decorum

Riff89 wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 4:38 pm
Tsal wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 12:12 pm

Duck is delicious. 🍽
Sure is @Tsal hes hanging as we speak. It’s in the upper 30s and I read somewhere to age your ducks for a day or 2 for better flavor. He’s gonna get plucked and dressed tomorrow wish me luck I’ve only ever breasted them out but I’m sick of wasting all that tasty skin.
I like to Confit the legs. Cassoulet is one of my favorites.
The Troll Whisperer
BlueRidge
Member in Good Standing

odd morning of being frozen in place for 30 minutes straight because of does and young of the year about to bust me. all the while the centerfire jackass touching off rounds a valley over (it's blackpowder till mid November in my zone).

In hindsight don't know if i'd shot this guy but had a small window as he was working scrapes through laurel and rhododendron. shot was slight quarter toward and uphill. got back of heart, one lung, liver and reticulum due to angle. best of all it was a quick clean kill and now i've refreshed my venison stash.

I will be picky on antlered deer if another shot comes otherwise will take a couple does late season.

exit wound and how he fell

entry wound (taken after recovery)
ncrobb
Founding Member

@BlueRidge good shooting and congrats.
“I’d like to ride the rodeo, but I got Brahma Fear.” - Jimmy Buffett
Tsal
Forum Decorum

BlueRidge wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 2:15 pm odd morning of being frozen in place for 30 minutes straight because of does and young of the year about to bust me. all the while the centerfire jackass touching off rounds a valley over (it's blackpowder till mid November in my zone).

In hindsight don't know if i'd shot this guy but had a small window as he was working scrapes through laurel and rhododendron. shot was slight quarter toward and uphill. got back of heart, one lung, liver and reticulum due to angle. best of all it was a quick clean kill and now i've refreshed my venison stash.

I will be picky on antlered deer if another shot comes otherwise will take a couple does late season.

exit wound and how he fell

entry wound (taken after recovery)
The practice of patience paid off! Enjoy..
The Troll Whisperer