The non method of pipe smoking ( for newbies )

Tsal
Forum Decorum

K.I.S.S.
The Troll Whisperer
ric03

Ruffinogold wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 11:01 am
ric03 wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 11:59 pm I remember when I first started out, I used to get constant and harsh bite from it. I can't remember who posted it, but someone on the old site said something like: "The correct way to smoke a pipe is simple. You just have to imagine you're a prisoner on death row about to be executed, you're allowed a last smoke and they'll take you away once it either goes out or you finish it." I rarely got bite after reading that! :bow:
Theres a lot to be said for takin it easy :thumbs:
I struggle to tell the difference, between blends, unless I slow it right down, then the flavours really come to life and work their magic 😌👌
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

ric03 wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 1:27 pm
ric03 wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 11:59 pm I remember when I first started out, I used to get constant and harsh bite from it. I can't remember who posted it, but someone on the old site said something like: "The correct way to smoke a pipe is simple. You just have to imagine you're a prisoner on death row about to be executed, you're allowed a last smoke and they'll take you away once it either goes out or you finish it." I rarely got bite after reading that! :bow:
I struggle to tell the difference, between blends, unless I slow it right down, then the flavours really come to life and work their magic 😌👌
That's why I try to have a stock of "work blends" and "casual blends". Obviously the work stuff can just be puffed away on mindlessly. The casual blends are for taking my time with
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
ric03

Mr Beardsley wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 1:38 pm

That's why I try to have a stock of "work blends" and "casual blends". Obviously the work stuff can just be puffed away on mindlessly. The casual blends are for taking my time with
I'm the same really, I tend to save the fuller smokes for later in the day and then savour them. Balkan and No. 10 are pretty easy going, so generally use them for chugging on.
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Mr Beardsley wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 1:38 pm

Yes . I mean , if I smoke a wicked killer complex blend that is mind blowing ... how could I work ? Easy to deal with medium or lighter blends for work is what I do . Hell , stuff like Half and Half , MBGE , SWRA , Ace of Spades , SPBC ... awesome mental autopilot mode blends .
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
Richard Hanson

Gents,

I did everting wrong. Watched YouTube, spent money, purchaser a range of tobaccos off the top sellers list. I am not certain why, but I have no interest at all in aromatics.

I like the tin notes of Virginians, but I have set them aside for now and am just smoking the same mild burly blend over and over again as I break in my six new pipes. I will explore more blends down the road. All of my pipes are churchwardens, I like how deliberate an act it is to smoke a pipe, and I am almost always reading when smoking. I also like how smoking a pipe has decelerated the pace of my life.

I will build a new home for retirement in the next few years with a porch facing East and another facing West. I also love to sit out in a big thunderstorm and have a cup of coffee. I hope to do that soon with a pipe in my hand.

Tip, don't let a golden retriever steal your lighter and burry it in the back yard; bad dog, bad dog.

Warmest regards,
Richard
Living the lesepfeife life.
Piping Abe
Certified Codger

Richard Hanson wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 10:21 pm Gents,

I did everting wrong. Watched YouTube, spent money, purchaser a range of tobaccos off the top sellers list. I am not certain why, but I have no interest at all in aromatics.

I like the tin notes of Virginians, but I have set them aside for now and am just smoking the same mild burly blend over and over again as I break in my six new pipes. I will explore more blends down the road. All of my pipes are churchwardens, I like how deliberate an act it is to smoke a pipe, and I am almost always reading when smoking. I also like how smoking a pipe has decelerated the pace of my life.

I will build a new home for retirement in the next few years with a porch facing East and another facing West. I also love to sit out in a big thunderstorm and have a cup of coffee. I hope to do that soon with a pipe in my hand.

Tip, don't let a golden retriever steal your lighter and burry it in the back yard; bad dog, bad dog.

Warmest regards,
Richard
Sounds like you are on the right track friend. It takes a while but the reward is really worth it
ric03

Richard Hanson wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 10:21 pm
Don't try to scratch an itch on your nose if you're holding a lit Zippo 🔥😱 :lol:
Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

ric03 wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 3:13 am
Richard Hanson wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 10:21 pm
Don't try to scratch an itch on your nose if you're holding a lit Zippo 🔥😱 :lol:
But nose oil makes the best stem polish. ;)
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

When I think stem polish .... Christina Hendricks comes to mind for some reason
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.