The non method of pipe smoking ( for newbies )

cigrmaster
Member in Good Standing

One trick I use when my pipe is on the verge of going out, is I take two fingers cover the bowl and give a few good puffs opening and closing the bowl with my fingers and the pipe will catch fire again. No need of a tamper or re lighting. I learned this technique back in high school when I was smoking something different out of my pipe.
Harris
Platty66

Wish I had seen this before staring buying. However, I'm enjoying my new pipe smoking adventure. I bought two MM cobs. They work great, along with two sample packs which contain 10g of the following
American blends Kentucky Nougat,
Kendal mix no3 bch.
Radford's old scotch
Broken Scottish cake.
Squadron leader.
Sam's flake ,
Kendal plug.
Golden glow broken flake
Mayor's st James flake.
My favourite so far is the St James flake. I ve read it's Virginia and perique. Yummy.
I ve got Sam's flake and Kendal plug to go.
I tried to use the breath method and it seems to work. A little bite with the first aromatics but the others a lot nicer. St James flake very cool smoke. Lasted 40 mins where the others lasted 20 to 30 mins. Thanks for the tips I ve only been piping for just over a week so posts like these are great
Mike
Duirt me leat go raibh me breoite"
"Love, light, peace".
Ronv69
Founding Member

I've never been able to read all the way through the instructions for smoking a pipe. I just did it until I got it right. It's not brain surgery.
God and Texas!
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Platty66 wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 7:09 pm Wish I had seen this before staring buying. However, I'm enjoying my new pipe smoking adventure. I bought two MM cobs. They work great, along with two sample packs which contain 10g of the following
Kendal mix no3 bch.
Radford's old scotch
Broken Scottish cake.
Squadron leader.
Sam's flake ,
Kendal plug.
Golden glow broken flake
Mayor's st James flake.
My favourite so far is the St James flake. I ve read it's Virginia and perique. Yummy.
I tried to use the breath method and it seems to work. A little bite with the first aromatics but the others a lot nicer. St James flake very cool smoke. Lasted 40 mins where the others lasted 20 to 30 mins. Thanks for the tips I ve only been piping for just over a week so posts like these are great
Mike
You , Sir .. need some American OTC :)
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
Platty66

Ruffinogold wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 7:39 pm
Platty66 wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 7:09 pm Wish I had seen this before staring buying. However, I'm enjoying my new pipe smoking adventure. I bought two MM cobs. They work great, along with two sample packs which contain 10g of the following
Kendal mix no3 bch.
Radford's old scotch
Broken Scottish cake.
Squadron leader.
Sam's flake ,
Kendal plug.
Golden glow broken flake
Mayor's st James flake.
Mike
Being in the UK is a right pain in the 'area' where tobacco is concerned. My nearest b&m store is 15 miles away for pipe tobacco so have to rely online. I must go over there and do some chatting and get a few tins in to have a nice little rotation. Any suggestions (which may be available over here) would be very welcome. Cheers
"Love, light, peace".
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Platty66 wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 7:57 pm
Ruffinogold wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 7:39 pm
Kendal mix no3 bch.
Radford's old scotch
Broken Scottish cake.
Squadron leader.
Sam's flake ,
Kendal plug.
Golden glow broken flake
Mayor's st James flake.
Mike
Being in the UK is a right pain in the 'area' where tobacco is concerned. My nearest b&m store is 15 miles away for pipe tobacco so have to rely online. I must go over there and do some chatting and get a few tins in to have a nice little rotation. Any suggestions (which may be available over here) would be very welcome. Cheers
Im not aware of any American otc stuff available there . You redcoats had some of the absolute best OTC in the world but apparently , like over here as well , quit smoking them because they went away . You still have Condor I reckon and we still have Carter Hall

If you happen to see some of the Brit OTC that went away a while ago sitting on a shelf gathering dust , youd do well to purchase them ... probably only to end up depressing yourself , but what the hell

Anything Mick McQuaid
Warrior Plug
Odgens Walnut or any other Ogdens
Any Players brand stuff

Brits really had it going on , man
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
Platty66

Thanks for the heads up I will keep a look out. Is St Bruno still made by Ogden's. I know their Liverpool factory closed a while ago.
"Love, light, peace".
Silver
Certified Codger

Platty66 wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 1:56 pm Thanks for the heads up I will keep a look out. Is St Bruno still made by Ogden's. I know their Liverpool factory closed a while ago.
Made by Mac Baren now.
Puff nstuff

@Platty66 if you or any friends travel to the US, or you have a friend that will mail you some old school OTC tobacco from the States (if that's allowed?), these are the ones to look for, in no particular order:
Sir Walter Raleigh
Carter Hall
Half & Half
Granger
Prince Albert
Velvet

SWR, H&H, and Velvet are available in pouches and tubs, the others in tubs only. Cheers!
Because sometimes the body just wants canned fish. 🦪
Robhumphrey04

Thanks for the guidance. As I’m just getting back to Tobit after 8 years, I am finding that my skills Olin regards to pipe smoking were novice at best, and have diminished greatly during my hiatus. Smoked some 8 year 1Q stored in a shop ziplock all that time. Mistake. Hot and fast and tasted no bwayno. Second bowl after hiatus was 8 yr old PS Black Truffle. Could hardly keep it lit and there was an ashy taste. Wasn’t chugging it either. Trying to ride that barely lit line. Failed again. Can’t wait to fail again tomorrow with some 8 yr old Frog Morton!