The non method of pipe smoking ( for newbies )

kschatey

Robhumphrey04 wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 1:42 am Thanks for the guidance. As I’m just getting back to Tobit after 8 years, I am finding that my skills Olin regards to pipe smoking were novice at best, and have diminished greatly during my hiatus. Smoked some 8 year 1Q stored in a shop ziplock all that time. Mistake. Hot and fast and tasted no bwayno. Second bowl after hiatus was 8 yr old PS Black Truffle. Could hardly keep it lit and there was an ashy taste. Wasn’t chugging it either. Trying to ride that barely lit line. Failed again. Can’t wait to fail again tomorrow with some 8 yr old Frog Morton!
I only picked up the pipe within the past 3 years, so I can definitely relate. It's really hard to walk that line between burning just write and smoking SLOWLY versus always going out OR smoking too hot and fast. Switching up the blend and the pipes also complicates that since all are different. I figure that I'll likely give up the pipe or die before I actually ever master the art!
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

Problem #1 is fixating on a technique that someone else says is the way. You have to find what works for you not some knucklehead on the internet
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
MikeDennison
Certified Codger

Mr Beardsley wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 11:10 am Problem #1 is fixating on a technique that someone else says is the way. You have to find what works for you not some knucklehead on the internet
Hear hear!
"I realized I had the gift of seeming to know more than I actually did." -A.J. Cronin-
kschatey

Mr Beardsley wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 11:10 am Problem #1 is fixating on a technique that someone else says is the way. You have to find what works for you not some knucklehead on the internet
What did you just call me?! ;)
Robhumphrey04

I’ve come to learn there are many right ways. Not all of us can agree on them. But we can all agree on the wrong ways. Haha.
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

kschatey wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 11:20 am
What did you just call me?! ;)
You're not just some knucklehead... You're our knucklehead :lol:
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Robhumphrey04 wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 1:42 am Thanks for the guidance. As I’m just getting back to Tobit after 8 years, I am finding that my skills Olin regards to pipe smoking were novice at best, and have diminished greatly during my hiatus. Smoked some 8 year 1Q stored in a shop ziplock all that time. Mistake. Hot and fast and tasted no bwayno. Second bowl after hiatus was 8 yr old PS Black Truffle. Could hardly keep it lit and there was an ashy taste. Wasn’t chugging it either. Trying to ride that barely lit line. Failed again. Can’t wait to fail again tomorrow with some 8 yr old Frog Morton!
Some blends get better with age but aromatics in general arent the ones . Try some 1 oz samples of some different blends . Get like 4 or 5 different style blends and have a go at it . 1 oz samples are reasonable , about $2.50
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
HSigurdsson

Back in about 2006-2007 is when I began smoking a pipe. I was a cigar junkie before that. Humidor after humidor full of great cigars. I was a member of several forums, mainly Cigar Geeks.
A guy named Larry on Cigar Geeks also smoked pipes.
He said that although cigars are great, you really get to enjoy the nuance of tobacco through pipe smoking. So, I decided to go for it.
Having good luck on the cigar forums, I joined "Smokers Forum" in around 2006ish.
I bought me a corn cob and a pack of Carter Hall and H&H.
The CH was ok, but the H&H was fabulous too me.
Yada, yada, yada......I had over 100 pipes, did countless box passes, had several meet ups, including one at my house for a few "local" guys.
I took to the pipe pretty easily due to the fact that cigar smoking is similar in the "smoke slowly and lightly puff" way.
Luckily I had guidance from great guys like Jimbo, tiljp, Trucker Chuck, Ed Anderson, Yacht Explorer......and many more.
My point is, these groups are the best way to learn how to NOT waste tobacco and how to learn that its not rocket science to smoke a pipe. :)
ric03

I remember when I first started out, I used to get constant and harsh bite from it. I can't remember who posted it, but someone on the old site said something like: "The correct way to smoke a pipe is simple. You just have to imagine you're a prisoner on death row about to be executed, you're allowed a last smoke and they'll take you away once it either goes out or you finish it." I rarely got bite after reading that! :bow:
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

ric03 wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 11:59 pm I remember when I first started out, I used to get constant and harsh bite from it. I can't remember who posted it, but someone on the old site said something like: "The correct way to smoke a pipe is simple. You just have to imagine you're a prisoner on death row about to be executed, you're allowed a last smoke and they'll take you away once it either goes out or you finish it." I rarely got bite after reading that! :bow:
Theres a lot to be said for takin it easy :thumbs:
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.