The Opening ... pop that tin or jar weekend

Islayphile
Member in Good Standing

Ruffinogold wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:13 pm
Islayphile wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 6:42 pm
Ruffinogold wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 6:37 pm Made a video and cant figure how to upload on phone . ill have to get my 16 year old .. Lol

Ogdens Walnut is so good ... This is my last jar m sadly
Lol, just like how our parents used to get us to program the VCR
Lol , I sucked at that too even then
Must’ve been those gooped up fingers hitting more than one button at a time.
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Omg .. I figured it out

" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

Ruffinogold wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:06 pm Omg .. I figured it out

I was hypnotized by the flake waving
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
Wooda
Founding Member

Underwater Basketweaver.
Baskets of basket pipes.
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Wooda wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:28 am
Nothing smells as good ! My wife enjoys Escudo, as do I . When she smokes it ... i dont smoke so that i can smell tbe room note of it . Its insane in the tin and awesome in the air
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

Wooda wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:28 am
Not gonna lie.. when the vacuum popped, I hit rewind so I could hear that again. Why is that sound so satisfying?
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
beeftip

Sorry. I'm late to the party.

I popped open an 8-year old tin of McConnell's Scottish Cake during "The Opening".

I have a small hoard of this as it was my favorite. I called it, "Sweet Hay Pancakes with a Fruity, Peppery syrup."

Either time has not been kind, or, my taste buds have changed. It's flat, one-dimensional, boring, and disappointing. All of the complexity and variation in flavor is gone. I hate it.

Maybe another 8 years will do something to the remaining 18 tins I have left.
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

beeftip wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:13 pm Sorry. I'm late to the party.

I popped open an 8-year old tin of McConnell's Scottish Cake during "The Opening".

I have a small hoard of this as it was my favorite. I called it, "Sweet Hay Pancakes with a Fruity, Peppery syrup."

Either time has not been kind, or, my taste buds have changed. It's flat, one-dimensional, boring, and disappointing. All of the complexity and variation in flavor is gone. I hate it.

May just need some time to breathe. I have yet to pop open an aged tin, pack a bowl, and think it was amazing. I put them in a jar for a minimum of 24 hours before smoking, sometimes I'll just fluff up the contents and leave it open for a while. Depends on moisture content
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

Mr Beardsley wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:17 pm
beeftip wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:13 pm Sorry. I'm late to the party.

May just need some time to breathe. I have yet to pop open an aged tin, pack a bowl, and think it was amazing. I put them in a jar for a minimum of 24 hours before smoking, sometimes I'll just fluff up the contents and leave it open for a while. Depends on moisture content
I think Scottish Cake is one of those blends that really needs to breathe regardless of aging. A freshly popped tin almost has a raspberry aroma to me(which I find sort of offputtingly sweet). I had to leave it sit for a couple weeks before it really hit it's stride.
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
Piping Abe
Certified Codger

Let’s revive this thread. Just cracked one of my favorites I haven’t had in a while. Not aged, nice and fresh. War Horse Green

ImageImageImageImage