One for work one for play

Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Plinsc wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 3:22 pm I use my pipe insert all the time, I really like it.
Here here :thumbs: Its a nice soft flame and its directional when in use . The old Nimrods were the same design except tubular
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
HSigurdsson

Ruffinogold wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 7:35 pm
HSigurdsson wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 2:07 pm I just ordered a pipe insert for one of my Zippos.
Never tried it with a pipe but ill give it a try.
I have a few really old Zippos id like to use.
Im worried about the fluid taste bit so many pipers use these, im gonna try.
Imho , the whole " zippo taste " thing is hyped a bit too much . Either a regular zippo or the pipe zippo ... both work great , fo rme at least . I also dig a bic or a match . Its all fire but the zippo has the outdoors nailed down
25 years ago when I smoked cigarettes with a Zippo, I could definitely taste the fuel.
But, people are telling me Zippo changed the formula.
Some guys, like you, whos opinion I highly respect, have said there is no bad taste.
Maybe a bit of smell when lighting, but nothing as far as taste.
Along with about 15 pipes, my wifes grandpa gave me a few old Zippos.
A couple are broken beyond use, but a few are in ok shape.
They are all from between the early 1940s and the 1970s.
Talked to Zippo on the phone a few years ago.
They said they cannot guarantee they can fix them, but if I bring them in, they have some really good "craftsmen" that will try.
They offered replacements even though they were given to me. I told her I wanted to keep the old ones....she said, "just bring them in, maybe we can fix them. dont worry, you will leave with them". I inferred a wink in her last statement. Upstanding company in my opinion. I live about an hour from Bradford PA, I am going to get there this summer.
They also make Case knives. If they give me replacement lighters AND let me keep the old ones....that I did not buy.....I will be buying a few knives. Ok, im gonna buy a few knives anyways. And, I will not accept more than one freebe lighter.
I still have one of my own from 30 years ago.
When Marlboro had their "miles" promotion going, I got a few Zippos.
ncrobb
Founding Member

HSigurdsson wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 6:03 pm
Ruffinogold wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 7:35 pm
HSigurdsson wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 2:07 pm I just ordered a pipe insert for one of my Zippos.
Never tried it with a pipe but ill give it a try.
I have a few really old Zippos id like to use.
Im worried about the fluid taste bit so many pipers use these, im gonna try.
Imho , the whole " zippo taste " thing is hyped a bit too much . Either a regular zippo or the pipe zippo ... both work great , fo rme at least . I also dig a bic or a match . Its all fire but the zippo has the outdoors nailed down
25 years ago when I smoked cigarettes with a Zippo, I could definitely taste the fuel.
But, people are telling me Zippo changed the formula.
Some guys, like you, whos opinion I highly respect, have said there is no bad taste.
Maybe a bit of smell when lighting, but nothing as far as taste.
Along with about 15 pipes, my wifes grandpa gave me a few old Zippos.
A couple are broken beyond use, but a few are in ok shape.
They are all from between the early 1940s and the 1970s.
Talked to Zippo on the phone a few years ago.
They said they cannot guarantee they can fix them, but if I bring them in, they have some really good "craftsmen" that will try.
They offered replacements even though they were given to me. I told her I wanted to keep the old ones....she said, "just bring them in, maybe we can fix them. dont worry, you will leave with them". I inferred a wink in her last statement. Upstanding company in my opinion. I live about an hour from Bradford PA, I am going to get there this summer.
They also make Case knives. If they give me replacement lighters AND let me keep the old ones....that I did not buy.....I will be buying a few knives. Ok, im gonna buy a few knives anyways. And, I will not accept more than one freebe lighter.
I still have one of my own from 30 years ago.
When Marlboro had their "miles" promotion going, I got a few Zippos.
I’ve used a Zippo pipe insert for years with both lighter fluid and Coleman lantern fluid and never noticed a taste. I also have sent a number of Zippos back for repair and they have always come through, even on my grandfather’s slim that I was sure was beyond hope. If you ask, they will send back a pipe insert.
“I’d like to ride the rodeo, but I got Brahma Fear.” - Jimmy Buffett
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Im trying to think of when it is I do taste the zippo fluid . Maybe if I just filled it ? It happens but either I dont think about it or it doesnt happen often enough for me to pin point when it does happen

That may not have made sense ,^^^^ lol , but it did to me
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.