Pandemic Rifles

sisyphus
Person of Interest

ok you already know I picked up a new hobby during the pandemic. Here are my two rifles:

so I've long admired AKs, and was looking at a Zastava (Serbian) model at Brownells. One night before I went to bed I refreshed that web browser tab and they were down from 2 in stock to their last one. I woke up the next morning and made the 2 1/2 drive to Brownells and took it home with me.

wanted the wood furniture because that was the AK I saw in my head, but the reality was lacking and this is how it looks today. First 1000 rounds down the pipe and zero malfunctions. Hits 6 inch steel plates with tedious consistency. I love this rifle so much.

Next, I wanted something that would pick up where the AK stops being reliable and take me from 200-1000 yards, not that my old eyes are going to make any 1000 yard shots. I found this Molot Vepr chambered in Grendel and really liked it. Russia has two historic armories, Izhmash, where the AK has always been made, and Molot Vepr, which is the home of the RPK. The RPK was the Soviet Union's squad based light machine gun. Thicker steel used for the receiver stamping, reinforced trunion, really heavy and nice 23" barrels. Vepr also made AKs using this receiver and a 16" version of this barrel, and they have a well deserved reputation for being the nicest AKs ever produced. Sell for a ton since the import ban, and the only reason these Molot Veprs are still around is because I think the sporting stocks put the AK guys off. They don't realize you can transform these into something more tactical if you want I guess, and once these are gone that is it. No more Russian rifles for us.

I shoot a rifle left handed, and I had reached out over and over to the importer who was selling through the last of these Veprs if they had any left handed butt stocks for these in some dusty box in the warehouse. Searching the web produced nothing. No go for me, that thumbhole was decidedly for a righty, not to mention the cheek riser being part of the stock. I gave up and started shopping ARs chambered for Grendel. After pouring over a bunch of ballistics tables and comparing Grendel to other rounds, and watching lots of Youtube videos measuring penetration I knew that Grendel was exactly what I wanted. Especially when cheap Russian steel cased ammo was available for it, making it much cheaper to shoot than this week's tactical trend.

They never did respond to me, but one day I came home from work and saw in a Facebook post from them that afternoon that they had answered my prayers. I had literally been within a day of special ordering a Grendel chambered AR15 when they posted this rifle.

Now this rifle is ambidextrous! I ordered one in a 20 1/2 inch barrel after sleeping on it. Picked up a stock that gave me more flexibility to get a perfect cheek weld using a scope, sorry for the bad pic

and finally ordered a scope from the Russian factory that produced the scopes the Soviet army put on their sniper and marksmen rifles. The cold war scopes were 4x24. Mine is updated to 6x42 and has a diopter and illumination, but otherwise looks just like the old scopes, besides being substantially longer. It's in the country now and I should have it in a couple of days. Sunday I'm headed to the range with my oldest son to zero in the scope. Haven't shot the Vepr yet, but it's a tank and I can't wait to see how it and Grendel perform. Itch scratched, I'm good on rifles.
Liberty cannot be purchased by a wish.
Thomas Paine
avid

sisyphus wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:15 pm ok you already know I picked up a new hobby during the pandemic. Here are my two rifles:

so I've long admired AKs, and was looking at a Zastava (Serbian) model at Brownells. One night before I went to bed I refreshed that web browser tab and they were down from 2 in stock to their last one. I woke up the next morning and made the 2 1/2 drive to Brownells and took it home with me.

wanted the wood furniture because that was the AK I saw in my head, but the reality was lacking and this is how it looks today. First 1000 rounds down the pipe and zero malfunctions. Hits 6 inch steel plates with tedious consistency. I love this rifle so much.

Next, I wanted something that would pick up where the AK stops being reliable and take me from 200-1000 yards, not that my old eyes are going to make any 1000 yard shots. I found this Molot Vepr chambered in Grendel and really liked it. Russia has two historic armories, Izhmash, where the AK has always been made, and Molot Vepr, which is the home of the RPK. The RPK was the Soviet Union's squad based light machine gun. Thicker steel used for the receiver stamping, reinforced trunion, really heavy and nice 23" barrels. Vepr also made AKs using this receiver and a 16" version of this barrel, and they have a well deserved reputation for being the nicest AKs ever produced. Sell for a ton since the import ban, and the only reason these Molot Veprs are still around is because I think the sporting stocks put the AK guys off. They don't realize you can transform these into something more tactical if you want I guess, and once these are gone that is it. No more Russian rifles for us.

I shoot a rifle left handed, and I had reached out over and over to the importer who was selling through the last of these Veprs if they had any left handed butt stocks for these in some dusty box in the warehouse. Searching the web produced nothing. No go for me, that thumbhole was decidedly for a righty, not to mention the cheek riser being part of the stock. I gave up and started shopping ARs chambered for Grendel. After pouring over a bunch of ballistics tables and comparing Grendel to other rounds, and watching lots of Youtube videos measuring penetration I knew that Grendel was exactly what I wanted. Especially when cheap Russian steel cased ammo was available for it, making it much cheaper to shoot than this week's tactical trend.

They never did respond to me, but one day I came home from work and saw in a Facebook post from them that afternoon that they had answered my prayers. I had literally been within a day of special ordering a Grendel chambered AR15 when they posted this rifle.

Now this rifle is ambidextrous! I ordered one in a 20 1/2 inch barrel after sleeping on it. Picked up a stock that gave me more flexibility to get a perfect cheek weld using a scope, sorry for the bad pic

and finally ordered a scope from the Russian factory that produced the scopes the Soviet army put on their sniper and marksmen rifles. The cold war scopes were 4x24. Mine is updated to 6x42 and has a diopter and illumination, but otherwise looks just like the old scopes, besides being substantially longer. It's in the country now and I should have it in a couple of days. Sunday I'm headed to the range with my oldest son to zero in the scope. Haven't shot the Vepr yet, but it's a tank and I can't wait to see how it and Grendel perform. Itch scratched, I'm good on rifles.
k, you're out of control...LOL
insufferable filter guy
avid

i wouldn't mind having just one run of the mill AR
insufferable filter guy
sisyphus
Person of Interest

no one noticed the Loewe tshirt? lol
Thomas Paine
avid

noticed it but wasn't familiar with the name until the www just told me
insufferable filter guy
Middle Earth

sisyphus wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:16 pm no one noticed the Loewe tshirt? lol
No one commented on it
Fixed it for you
First thing I noticed

I am an AR guy and probably posted these before but I have two of each these in x39

Galil Ace Pistols and Arsenal SAM 7Rs

ImageImage
Middle Earth

Here is Galil opened up

avid

[mention]Middle Earth[/mention] outstanding
insufferable filter guy
MikeDennison
Certified Codger

Forgive my ignorance guys, but what's the particular attraction to the AKs? (not a gun guy, so nothing technical, please.)
"I realized I had the gift of seeming to know more than I actually did." -A.J. Cronin-
sisyphus
Person of Interest

will run dirty and keep going
will run any ammo
availability of cheap Russian steel cased ammo
great penetration, hiding behind a car won't help you with 7.62x39
very accurate out to somewhere between 200-300 yards
very simple design, breaking down an AK is a lot like breaking down a 1911, there's nothing to them
pedigree, used in combat all over the globe since 1947
they also just have a "feel" to them, like everything about an AK is somehow the way it's supposed to be
Thomas Paine